Charcoal comparison

• Quick comparison between 3 different charcoal brands..
    Done during a beef spit BBQ..
    Emberpak. Redgum. Gasmate from bunnings

Pics of them in the chimneys.. Then after being fully lit

The gasmate lit up the quickest.. Produced a tonne of black fumes in doing so.. Then fizzled out the quickest.. Very light and definitely not dense..

The redgum was pretty good.. First time using this.. Lit up quicker than the ember pak.. Felt quite dense.. Little/no smell .. Reasonable amount of smoke/fumes when lot... Burn time in the open spit was very good.. Lasted a good while before I had to.top up.. It was painful topping up with these since they are quiet small and u needed to use two hands every time.. Not much ash

Emberpak took the longest to light up in the chimneys.. These things are dense.. Great size for the spit.. Was very easy to top up with these since u could pick up log shaped sizes.. Great burn time.. Slightly longer than the redgum in the open spit BBQ.. But more smell which can be an issue if not a fan.. Not much ash

I also tried out the red gum in my kamado for a 6 hr beef rib cook. And was very impressed!! Was very responsive to adjustments in the vents whereas Emberpaks take a little longer..

Anyways hope u enjoyed the pics.. It's not a very scientific comparison I know.. But I'm not a scientist :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

• Official Post

The can on the left has two flat pieces on the top so I don't think they had the same chance to burn cleanly. It would have restricted the airflow in to the bottom of the chimney.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• The Emberpak large chunk (mid price range) is good for low and slow as it is larger and denser than their cheaper and different shaped root mangrove which is smaller in size and burns faster. Do you have any mangrove root to compare?

I normally use the root for the faster hotter cooks, or as a charcoal starter for denser charcoal to get things going or because of its shape and size in the hibachi.

The chunk on the left is the smallest size in the bag, the middle the average size and on the right the largest size.

Here's a comparison of some other types of charcoal vs Emberpak mangrove root.

First up Diggers

Not much you can say about it except, it's not very good.

Next up Kamado Joe

It is a bit like a lucky dip, pop your hand in and what comes out is a surprise.

Final picture is the Emberpak mangrove stick

The size of the charcoal is pretty consistent around the average size.

• Has anyone seen or tried this before? I saw it at a local food market this morning. It's called Honeybrix and are some sort of robot turd. Didn't say what it was made from and the website is under construction.

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• I suppose in regards to size its going to be relevant to what your going to use to cook with.

Personally I would go Kamado Joe over the Mangrove for low and slow everyday of the week. Reason being that the Mangrove chunks are too big for my little webber, but I understand how this would be much more applicable to other BBQ's.

Also, the fact that I personally feel that I can just add Kamado straight to the heat and have no worries with fumes or leaving any unsettling odour on my final product.

In saying that, im very happy to use Mangrove for my "Flash fire cooks" like steaks etc...anything where I don't need to top up.

:thumbup:

• Official Post

Has anyone seen or tried this before? I saw it at a local food market this morning. It's called Honeybrix and are some sort of robot turd. Didn't say what it was made from and the website is under construction.

the price is ok at $2 per kg and I've never had dud robot turds so they'd be worth buying but they arent a screaming bargain where you'd be stocking up.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Has anyone seen or tried this before? I saw it at a local food market this morning. It's called Honeybrix and are some sort of robot turd. Didn't say what it was made from and the website is under construction.

I bought a box of these the other day and gave them a go. Initial impressions are good. I only did a very low temp cook, 90-100C but they seemed to burn really cleanly, no particular smell to them at all. I'll have to give them a lot more of a go but so far so good.

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!