Masterbuilt Deluxe Barrel Grill - Costco Parilla Charcoal BBQ

• Official Post

Heads up everyone, Costco is back in stock with the Masterbuilt charcoal parilla BBQ. If I had more space I'd get one as it seems very sturdy and neat.

Height adjustable charcoal level, cool cabinet, cover, all for under $300!

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Looks good.

We may have finally got Aldi here in WA, but we still don't have Costco. So I guess this will have to wait :bbq:

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• i saw these on the weekend and am very interested. Looks to be a solid basic design. Couldnt see what problems one would encounter so hopefully someone can chime in.

Has anybody purchased 1 of these or know someone who has?
    Any weaknesses or flaws in the design?
    Would it be good for an indirect cook?
    Slow cook?
    Would snake method work?.

The price seems too good to be true compared to other comparable grills so keep thinking there must be something i am missing.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• i saw these on the weekend and am very interested. Looks to be a solid basic design. Couldnt see what problems one would encounter so hopefully someone can chime in.

Has anybody purchased 1 of these or know someone who has?
    Any weaknesses or flaws in the design?
    Would it be good for an indirect cook?
    Slow cook?
    Would snake method work?.

The price seems too good to be true compared to other comparable grills so keep thinking there must be something i am missing.

It looks about the size of a 4 burner gasser.

Being an open air design it would use quite a bit of charcoal/heat beads. Probably the same as a roti. It would also mean temp control is more driven by the amount of lit charcoal than vent control.
    Indirect looks doingable. Just have lit charcoal on one side and the meat on the other.
    Lot's of cooking space so you can put in a big chunk of meat. Way larger than a kettle.
    For low and slow I would probably skip the snake and buy a slow'n'sear. It provides more temp control and moisture. This bbq looks more set for the faster cook like you would do on a gasser than low and slow.
    It looks the type of bbq for a person who like to cook big chunks of meat or lot's of it but doesn't have the budget for an offset/pellet/large roti but would still like to get into the charcoal scene.

If I was looking for charcoal cooking and the amount of food to be cooked is regularly more than a kettle this ticks the box.
    If I wanted a cooker that was also for low and slow I would not buy this and would buy an Akorn or Dragon Kamado. It saves messing around for low and slow and over time the extra $200 will be recouped in the very low fuel consultion by the Kamado.

• Official Post

I'd use this BBQ for grilling and roasting. I'd also try and modify it to fit a rotisserie. The only thing I would not use this for is low and slow (though I might try the snake in it to see how it goes. In that sense, it is true that the Kettle is more versatile, but this BBQ has a much better cooking height, a better grill, height adjustable charcoal tray, a solid and roomy cabinet and a few other advantages.

I'm only guessing, but it may prove difficult to grill right to the edge of the grill unless there is a way to place charcoal there. Other than that, it seems to me like a great charcoal grill option.

• thanks for replies.
    Already have my charcoal roti and charcoal hot and fast grill options covered, was looking more for the low n slow option with the lid. I will keep looking i guess.

Those kamado look awesome but i really need a larger area to feed the masses. Besides, those kamado's terrify me.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• thanks for replies.
    Already have my charcoal roti and charcoal hot and fast grill options covered, was looking more for the low n slow option with the lid. I will keep looking i guess.

Those kamado look awesome but i really need a larger area to feed the masses. Besides, those kamado's terrify me.

Swamptrout why not start a new thread about what you want which sounds like you want a bbq that can low and slow a large chunk meat/lots of food at one time.

Getting your head around how to use a Kamado can rattle it a bit as it doesn't cook the "normal" way, eg add more fuel = more heat but when you master it a new bbq world opens up. They come in multiple sizes from r2d2 upwards.

Have a read of this thread about the Costco XL Kamado New Kamado at Costco

• Official Post

You can Low and Slow in this, fire on one end and food on the other. It looks like it seals OK and the vent looks like it'll give good air control, not sure about the hood chimneys, I can't see them, but if they have good control then it'd be OK.

• Official Post

thanks for replies.

An offset would fit that need but if kamados terrify you, an offset will put you in a high security care facility.

Seriously, kamados are dead easy but if you need extra space you can always have a kamado (like a Dragon or Akorn $499) and a Weber kettle as a second string when required. You'd pick a good one up second hand for under $100.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Official Post

Those kamado look awesome but i really need a larger area to feed the masses.

We're here to help. I love my Kamado! I think it is very easy to operate once you get the hang of it. You can fit a heap of low and slow meats in one with a second shelf.
    Another easy option would be to look at a pellet grill. They are simple to operate, but you'll be up for a lot more than $299.
    If you're happy with a gas low and slow, one of the upright smokers like the hark (or the coolabah clone from Aldi) might fit the bill.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!