• Vote for your 3 favourite Spuds people. 12

1. Entry 1 (6) 50%
    2. Entry 2 (2) 17%
    3. Entry 3 (1) 8%
    4. Entry 4 (2) 17%
    5. Entry 5 (7) 58%
    6. Entry 6 (5) 42%
    7. Entry 7 (9) 75%

A while back Smokey put up an idea for a new Challenge, the humble spud. About time we gave it a run and see what wonderful ideas and variations we can come up with. A hot smokey curry? Some sort of rosemary and garlic flavoured bake? Potato Cake with Chocolate Icing? Well maybe not that one but let your imagination go and have some fun.
    Simple rules, any sort of spud, cooked anyway on anything.
    Can be on its own or as the main star of a meal.
    You can put in as many entries and pics as you like and try to get a pic in of the BBQ as well.

We'll kick it off tonight 25/08/16 and run until 22/ 09/16 which will give us a couple of weekends to play with.

Smokey wrote:
    Sweet potatoes are actually Yams,,

So none of these. However, You can pick from Dutch cream, Nadine, Royal, Kings, Kipfler, Deserie and a million other types of SPUDS.
    You can do them any way, That includes you can add stuff but must be predominately a potato dish.
    Some ideas as to the topic intention,, Potato bake, potato & salmon fish cakes, Potato & pig cheek brawn.
    This is a BBQ forum so How can you swing that angle in? :cheers

As usual only entries in this thread and chatter over here..... Chatter thread for Smokeys Spud Challenge

Spud on people :bbq:

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• Entry 1

Freshly dug, zapped in microwave then garlic oil, rosemary,mint & S & P. Skewered with onion then onto go anywhere.

Finished and served with a bit of leftover chichen,
    Stewie

Royal Kamado, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber Baby Q, Weber OTP,Weber Jumbo Joe, Dragon Hibachi, Auspit, Multikai + a couple of portables.

• Entry 3

OK, the humble spud in jacket over red gum charcoal. Nothing flash, it's the KISS principal.

Fired up the kamado and put the lit charcoal on only one half of the pit. Removed the deflector and grill riser and limited the amount of fuel so it didn't end up like Spuds Chernobyl.

Please forgive the fact that I've got meat in there as well, not just the spuds but I have a medical condition and if i don't eat meat, I could die.

Served with sour cream and topped with home grown Lebanese cress

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Entry 7

I grew up on a version of this mashed potato bake dish and I thought I'd have a go at it by cooking it in my pellet bbq. I made two of them, one had a layer of mortadella in it and it was my favourite.

Most of the ingredients:
    The truffolino cheddar, some parmesan and the guanciale and rosemary went into the mash.The merken went on top of the cheese layer to add just a bit of spice.

The guanciale was fried first with the rosemary and some garlic:

First potato layer:

Cheese merken layer:

Yummy (very fresh) mortadella layer:

Top potato layer with some more parmesan sprinkled on top:

Into the GMG:

The finished trays:

On the plate:

I'll be doing this again very soon!!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!