SOLIDTEKNICS AUS-ION Wok & Crepe/Griddle Pan

• Following on from my previous post about SOLIDTEKNICS cookware I have just purchased another 2 items mainly due to a few different reasons.

• Firstly because I've been super impressed with the quality & functionality of the skillet that I recently purchased.
    • Secondly because they were on "special" again though not quite at such a good discount as my first purchase.
    • Lastly, & probably the main reason, due to GAS which we all know is very hard to resist at times!

This time I bought the 30cm Wok & the 24cm Crepe/Griddle Pan which is 4mm thick! =O
    The image below shows them after I had completed 3 seasoning sessions on them so they are almost good to go.

Also, just for those who like to scavenge around for items of interest, I've included a photo of my latest "find"!
    Basically I was having a rummage around in a local metal providers off-cuts bin & couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted this little beauty.
    It's a piece of 6mm plate that had been laser cut into a 14" (355mm) diameter circle, that's a perfect size for me to use it in my BGE as a heat deflector/pizza/griddle plate.
    I thought that I would also season it in the same way as the pans above as there was room in the oven to do all 3 items at once.
    Best of all is the fact that it only cost me $3 which is somewhat less than the pans cost!

Regards,
    GN

• Good Stuff Nigel....I bought the one with the holes..on it's second seasoning before I left for Melbourne...I'll post a pic up when I get back!

Yeah the one with holes also looks good but I desperately needed to replace my old Wok as it was becoming a bit of a health hazard.
    Somehow I managed to get the crepe pan past management as well..!
    Will be interested to hear your feedback on the " holey one", sounds almost spiritual..!

Nice! Loving my skillet. Might get a smaller cast iron very soon. Will be interested to see what you think of the wok.

Feedback on the Wok, I've now used it twice after first seasoning it &, so far, I'm very pleased with how it performed, things didn't stick & more importantly it was to easy to clean afterwards plus the seasoning held in place.
    Admittedly my Wok burner isn't as aggressive as the ones that they use in restaurants but it still produces about 22 MJ/Hr which isn't too shabby for a domestic cooktop.
    After getting the Wok up to temp using a medium sort of heat I then turned it up full-bore for the remainder of the cook which it handled with no probs whatsoever.

Also, yesterday I had to visit the local metal supplier again & once again had a rummage in the off-cuts bin & found another useful circular bit of kit.
    This one is 13" in diameter, 12mm thick & weighs 8kg, which all adds up to some serious heat storage capacity...this one was a little bit more expensive & cost me $8..!

Regards,
    GN

• Now that's what I call a comprehensive pictorial road test report!

What is it they say "a pictures worth a thousand words", therefore by my calc your post above is worth about 7000 words!

It certainly looks like it did the job, what did you think about its performance taste-wise, could you tell that the meat had been cooked directly over hot coals rather than simply pan fried?
    Looking at the pics I would have thought so.

Also just wondering, due to all of the holes in it, how the clean up went?

• Looks great! Can't wait to get a second one and season in the oven, it looks so nice and evenly season compared to mine. I had to season on the stove as the pan is a few mm too big to fit in the oven :(
    What oil did everyone else season with?

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• Looks great! Can't wait to get a second one and season in the oven, it looks so nice and evenly season compared to mine. I had to season on the stove as the pan is a few mm too big to fit in the oven :(
    What oil did everyone else season with?

It's a pity that you couldn't fit your skillet into your oven as that makes the job far easier & definitely produces a more even looking finish.

Like you I also purchased the large skillet but I was able to squeeze it into my std 600mm oven by putting it in diagonally just resting the pan on the actually rack rails rather than on a shelf, at the same time I also squeezed in my Lodge cast iron skillet & the round 6mm piece of flat plate.

Perhaps you should just have another go at squeezing it in, it doesn't really matter if the pan is on an angle as that won't really affect the finish, main thing to remember is to make sure that it's upside down so none of the seasoning oil pools anywhere.

If the oil is pooling then you've probably put too much oil on anyway which will tend to produce a less than ideal finish both cosmetically & longevity-wise.

Everyone has their own thoughts on how to season a pan (just like the Ford vs Holden constant debate), I favour the following method.
    1) Pre-heat pan to about 80C
    2) Pour about a teaspoon of Flax Seed oil into the pan & rub it all over the pan until it has a very light coating everywhere.
    3) Then use a new piece of cloth & lightly rub all over the pan until it looks like it has been polished. This is a good sign as it indicates that you've got just the right amount of oil on the surface of the pan & it won't produce too much smoke when it's seasoning.
    4) Place in oven upside down & bake at about 250C or whatever the hottest setting your oven can manage for about 1hr (for lesser seasoning oils this may need to be about a 1/2hr longer). This process will produce a bit of smoke, more so when the oven first gets up to temp, so don't worry just crank up your extraction fan!
    5) After the baking period turn off the oven & leave the pan inside to cool down.
    6) Repeat the process 3-6 times until you are happy with the finish.

To maintain the finish immediately after a cook I simply clean the pan under hot running water, initially just using a sponge or soft brush, if there are still some crusty bits hanging on I use a wooden scraper to remove those.
    Dry off the pan & heat it up on the stovetop, as it's heating just put a SMALL drop of oil in the pan & spread it around with a piece of kitchen paper, once the oil just starts to smoke rub around again with the same piece of kitchen paper, allow to heat for just a little bit longer & then turn off heat, allow pan to cool down on stovetop whilst your eating your meal & then put away.

Regards,
    GN

• Hmm probably could have squeezed it in on an odd angle, oh well, if I have to re-season one day it will be in the oven. The seasoning seems to holding fine so far.

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!