What Charcutier are we making for Xm,as this year.

• 10/15/2022

Starting weights.

#1 33.2oz

#2 32.5oz

#3 33.8oz

#4 36.2oz

#5 34.8oz

16 days.

27.8=5.4oz or 16.4%

26.9=5.6oz or 17.6%

27.7=6.1oz or 18.3%

29.3=6.9oz or 19.1%

28.6=6.2oz or 17.8%

fTlGKPOh.jpg

11/11/2022

28 days. Target is a loss of 40%.

#1 24.9 25%

#2 24.1 26%

#3 24.9 26.5%

#4 26.8 26%

#5 25.5 26.5%

5k6jK12h.jpg

00RomAWh.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• Decided I would go all in on the salami making. I saw a 2016 GE that I believe is close to this model on Craigslist. Going to pick it up tomorrow. For $145 I am will to roll the dice. I am ordering the Temperature and Humidity Controller and the Humidifier also. Going to wait on the circulation fan and dehumidifier as some of the research says they may not be needed. Throw in a couple of extension cords and I should have a large Dedicated drying chamber for about $350.

5wDKE6q.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• Not quite like the picture above... Needs to be wiped down on outside. Inside is pretty clean. Started right up, so that is always good. Not gonna worry about cleaning inside till I get the controllers and humidifier. Saw where a Chef/Teacher at Shasta College did a conversion. He drilled a hole through side to run power, I like the idea, but am trying to figure out if there might be any coils on the left side. Parts are to be here Weds. On ward and upward.

• did a conversion. He drilled a hole through side to run power, I like the idea,

There are some builds with pictures of people converting fridges to fermentation chambers, should be able to find them with some searching (otherwise when I'm home and not typing on my phone I can look). That's a very similar thing, just with a different end game in mind.

Basically though, there are already wires passing from outside to inside: for the light. So if you're willing to unscrew a few panels and poke around, you can probably use the same route.

I picked up an old fridge for $60 today for that purpose. Initially I'll just pass the wires through the door. A bit of tape to smooth it and reduce the air gap. Once I'm sure I like the fridge I'll look at wiring it all in properly.

• Typical, I remembered the site where I saw a really detailed conversion just after I clicked reply...

It details, with photos, how they got the wires in. Obviously a totally different fridge but it's still relevant. They also mention the possibility of using the condensation run-off hole. Not sure if go for that option myself.

Fridge hacking guide: converting a fridge for fermenting beer | BrewPi
    How to convert a fridge into a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. We show how to add temperature sensors and hack the thermostat and compressor.
    www.brewpi.com

• This is the route I am gonna go. I like the fact I don't have to worry about any air gaps, and I like the fact I can have the controller on the side of the fridge.

Converting fridge to meat curing chamber.

• Be very careful drilling holes in the side - I did that and let all the gas out of it …

Then had to fix the hole and have the fridge re-gassed.

Pain in the arse !!!

I did post about it in here

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• All the coils are in the back!

• Mine had coils on side

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• When you have just a touch of OCD you get into things before you are supposed to. This is about 29% loss. There is way to much fat even for me. We learn. When it finally hits 40% moisture loss I will buy some of the Sopprasota from Restaurant Depot and compare. I would say mine is lacking in flavor, more pepper, more salt. As far as the tanginess folks were telling me it might have due to the high concentration of dextrose, I am not seeing it, or I do not know what tangy salami tastes like. Lets just say I am encouraged. The little pieces seemed more done obviously, the larger ones, they are not. But I still ate them. So if this is my last post, it has been a gas!

XocYQv2h.jpg

qhvpoiDh.jpg

i8g4Aq8h.jpg

• The flavour will intensify when moisture loss is 40% vs 30%

As you were saying, wait until closer to 40% and you might find you're seasoning is closer to what you hoped!

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• Thanks. I am still alive and after eating, for lack of a better term, raw salami, it will be easier to wait. Although I am worrying about case hardening. I guess if I get a few % each week I am OK!

• Decided to run it through the side till I make sure everything is worked out and I have all cords needed before I go making holes and sealing them. I am now understanding why the one guy said you probably will not be able to have the curing fridge outside or in a garage if you are in a cold weather winter climate. You will never get the inside to 75°f if your house is 63°f. Which I have mitigated with a heating blanket. I will probably not be using it for a fermentation chamber. That is usually 75° & 90% RH for 24-72 hours. I am going to make a batch of Slim Jim's and some Calabrese Salami next and will ferment them at same time and then go into curing mode. Which will be about 55-60° & 75% RH.

Temperature reading on top, RH% on bottom of controller.

hohOZUgh.jpg

Edited 2 times, last by Bentley Meredith ().

• I think we are there. Will not be sharing this with anyone, as I believe it is just to much fat for most. I like it and will eat it, it makes a pretty good salami sandwich, and it goes well on pizza, but it is not a charcutier plate type salami. Will go to 20% fat next time. Will takes some other photos as I slice this and will show some when the others get to 40%!

This is 34% weight loss. I think 40% will be even better, and by the time I finish this, I think the other 3 chubs will be there. Gonna start some mostly beef Slim Jims, Spanish Fuet, and some Calabresa next week in the new curing chamber. I can whole heartedly endorse these UMAi bags and there process if others are looking to make home made salami for about 1/4 the price of deli & supermarket. What I will say, and I won't know if I am right till this second batch. The flavor, the depth of flavor might be a better statement. I think that is developed through the mold on the outside of the salami, and that cannot be achieved with the bags.

Edited once, last by Bentley Meredith ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!