Virginian beef roast

• G'day all,
    I was digging around in the bottom of the freezer and I came across this.

The pack says 'oven roasting', but it's not really roast beef weather at the moment. I've done a quick search and find that it's not recommended for smoking and I don't think it would make a good steak either. I do intend on brining it, but apart from that, I've got nothing ?( . Does anybody have any ideas for cooking this please? It also looks like it suffering from a bit of freezer burn, just to add to it's appeal :doh: .
    Thanks for looking.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• If you can roast it, you can smoke it. But if it's not the best bit of meat then the results may not be the best regardless of how you cook it.

Sous vide?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• If you can roast it, you can smoke it. But if it's not the best bit of meat then the results may not be the best regardless of how you cook it.

Sous vide?

Sorry @Wazza, I might have gotten my terminologies mixed up. I meant 'low and slow' when I was referring to smoking. I don't think that this cut has a lot of connective tissue and fat that would benefit from a long smoking session, but I'm happy to be corrected. I don't have a sous vide, but I do have a slow cooker though.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• I'd be thinking a medium temp roast at say 150c (pit temp) so it's not too hot and not too long. I doubt that it would be a great cut however but you can only try.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• +1 for what he said up there ^

I'd also be catching the juices so a pan under the meat, a sauce / gravy may work wonders with this bit of meat.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Pot roast with plenty of liquid, like Guinness

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• I just made up a 3ish % strength brine comprising equal parts of salt and brown sugar, a teaspoon each of garlic powder, mustard powder, allspice and paprika in 2 litres of water. I've put the beef in for an overnight session which will hopefully impart some nice flavours into it. I'll go with the collective wisdom of a 150°C roast and I'll use a lidded casserole dish to try and keep some moisture in there. I haven't decided what to do with it when it's cooked, but I've been given the option of takeaway if it doesn't come out well :roll eyes: .

• I had the roast cooking at 150°C for just under 2 hours in a casserole dish. I just pulled it out of the oven and admittedly it went over the ideal internal temp to about 72°C. I cut a slice off and it was one of the most tasteless pieces of meat I've ever tried in my life. It was still juicy and there was a hint of pink in the middle, but utterly tasteless. So, the mutt gets a big feed of beef tomorrow and we're having pizzas tonight for dinner :D .
    At least I've had my instincts reinforced not to trust the woolies recommendation of 'ideal for oven roasting' X( . It might be a good candidate for pastrami though.
    Thanks for looking.

• You can't beat a good butcher. Meat from Wollies or Coles is banned in my house.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!