• Looks great and yes, they are a fantastic oven and there are a few big fans on here....have you seen this thread.....Maximus Pizza Oven

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• The weather is improving in Tassie so I'm starting to head back outside again... Love this oven, so easy for weeknight pizza! Sourdough pizza from my nearly 2 year old starter. No additional yeast used. 5 day slow ferment, cooked at 400C. San Marzano, Buffalo Mozzarella, Reggianio, Fresh Basil, EVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The weather is improving in Tassie so I'm starting to head back outside again... Love this oven, so easy for weeknight pizza! Sourdough pizza from my nearly 2 year old starter. No additional yeast used. 5 day slow ferment, cooked at 400C. San Marzano, Buffalo Mozzarella, Reggianio, Fresh Basil, EVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you share your process for sourdough pizza? My starter is about a year old and I love the weekend loaves it produces, I've experimented with 'the perfect loaf' sourdough pizza, but would like to try a few more.
    Although I don't have a pizza oven, usually get my Ziegler pretty hot and works well.

• Using bakers percentages this is my recipe for the dough:

Flour 100%
    Water 60%
    Salt 2.5%
    Starter 15% (recently fed and active)

• Combine all ingredients but hold back around 25% of your flour.
    • Give it a quick 2 minute mix to combine
    • Let it rest for 20 - 30 minutes (autolyse)
    • Mix for 5 minutes - slowly adding the rest of the flour as you go
    • Rest for another 20 minutes
    • Weigh out your dough for desired dough portions
    • Roll into balls and store in the fridge

Store in the fridge until needed for at least 1 day but optimally 2-3 days rest will produce puffy, non elastic, tender dough balls. If you were using dry or fresh yeast they will likely over-prove after 3 days but sourdough will take much longer in the fridge to rise so need to worry if you still have leftovers (like I did!).

At my pizzeria we keep the dough in a temperature controlled fridge so they don't take long to prove once out of the fridge. If you are using your home fridge, just take your sourdough balls out a few hours earlier and leave them in a warm place to finish proving and warm up for better handling.

It all sounds a little fiddly but the amount of active working time is very low. The best part of slow refrigerated storage is that the window for making pizza is very wide. In my family I can't always dictate when we will have a "pizza party" but if I have a batch on the go, I'm ready at short notice! To be honest, now that the shop is up and running - I just grab a batch of dough from work and save myself the bother!

Good luck and take lots of photos for us all to see :)

• Thanks for the recipe, it's always a concern when making dough that the timing is right but yours gives us a larger time window, which is great when cooking for a few extras.

I'll pass this to the dough maker here (she does that bit, I do the cooking) ^^

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Hi

Just checking if the dough recipe is using a thick or watery starter. I don't think it makes a huge difference but may require a small adjustment.

Ta

Ga

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Hi

Just checking if the dough recipe is using a thick or watery starter. I don't think it makes a huge difference but may require a small adjustment.

Ta

Ga

Hi Grant, fair enough question I reckon. I always keep my starter simple: 1/2 water 1/2 flour or when feeding: equal parts starter, water and flour. I have tried to adjust for the water content present in the starter with my hydration calculations but honestly I think that it over-complicates things. If you keep your recipe consistent you can always adjust the hydration % in the master recipes. I've had hydration much higher and also much lower but found 60% to be the best balance between rise (water makes steam which gives "oven spring") and work-ability (super wet sticky dough can be a pain to work with!)

• Hi Grant, fair enough question I reckon. I always keep my starter simple: 1/2 water 1/2 flour. I have tried to adjust for the water content present in the starter with my hydration calculations but honestly I think that it over-complicates things. If you keep your recipe consistent you can always adjust the hydration % in the master recipes. I've had hydration much higher and also much lower but found 60% to be the best balance between rise (water makes steam which gives "oven spring") and work-ability (super wet sticky dough can be a pain to work with!)

And hydration changes with the batch of flour and the humidity. I never put all the water in first up, hold a little back in case you don't Kneed it. ....see what I did there :D

• ....see what I did there

24 hours in the naughty corner for you

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!