Weber Q - a theory

• Like many people have reported online, here and elsewhere, there are issues with the Weber Q 2000 (middle of the range) not getting hot enough to give a steak a really good sear. In fact, it was the main reason I gave mine away and bought a Ziggy portable.

Speaking to my butcher today, we got on to that topic and he reckons it's to do with the regulator. He's said he'd been told that the regulators on the Webers aren't great quality and it's the initial pressure of the gas when it's turned on at the bottle that causes issues. The theory goes that if you turn it on gently at the bottle, you won't cause any damage to the regulator like you do if you turn it on quickly, which most of us would tend to do.

He's ditched the Weber regulator for a better quality one and says it's made a big difference to the heat coming out of the gas ring. I always turn the gas off at the bottle and don't trust it to the control knob on any BBQ so it may apply to me.

I'm sceptical about the theory but what do you other Weber users think ?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I’m a sceptic, they were made for lid down grilling so you need to get the heat up before putting on the meat and then putting the lid back down!

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• I dont have that issue with my Q2200, Id actually say its spot on for a steak sear. (After a preheat)

I am not so sure about it being the reg either, If I roll the knob back from full I can get more flame. Seems if anything its the adjustable knob holding the flame back.

Maybe the Q2200 had the problem addressed? :dunno:

• Not being a Q guru, but I thought it was more to do with the amount/size of the burners, rather than the regulator. The 300/3000 series have 2 burners and the 100/1000 series have 1 burner. The 200/2000 series also has 1 burner, but it is trying to heat up a bigger area with a burner which is more suited to the smaller model.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• That's the issue with the 2000, it certainly takes too long to heat up and if you add a set of grill grates, then go and have a few coffees while it gets to temp, which is about 250c and that's it. I heard it had been improved on the later 2200 model but I never got to try one. The Ziggy however, has the opposite problem. Turning the gas knob to full low, the thing still gets too hot for a roast and hits the red line on the built in lid thermometer. The only way I can roast on it is to turn the control knob towards the point of shutting down and strangle the gas flow that way. It does work but it's annoying and you wonder why Z&B can't make a control knob to better regulate gas flow.

Anyway, back to the Weber Q, I tried drilling out the holes in the burner a bit more =O but stopped after I'd only dome two because a lot more flame came out of them even though I'd only increased the size marginally.

I agree about the regulator theory, i think that's bulltish.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I have replaced reg in the past with much better results.
    I have also had to replace regs in cars because of wax build up in them from poor quality lpg.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Yeah I had a similar disappointment with the Q220 after stepping up from the Q120 a few years back.
    The reason for the size upgrade was more for grill space and I naturally assumed they'd be more powerful but was wondering why it didn't perform better than my Q120 that was a little pocket rocket.
    The Q220 had a much larger gill space but only upped the BTUs by only around 2,000 extra, I think the tube was slightly larger in diameter and a bit longer due to the longer base but it wasn't enough for the larger cooking area.
    There was a chap in another forum, those who were there would know who I'm referring to, who by recommendation from myself and others, bought a Q220 and couldn't do his steaks 'Blue' in it and got the Weber bloke around to try and get the results he was after, well, he couldn't and organised a full buyback. But on reflection, getting a Blue steak on a Gas BBQ is perhaps outside the small compact grill's capabilities. Can't comment on the Ziggys (which weren't around at that time) but by the heat Gumb's Ziggy puts out, a Blue Steak maybe possible.
    The Q320 Family Q with a larger Q tube and a smaller straight middle tube gives out a respectable 21,000 BTUs and so performs rather well so the performance was enhanced with the additional size but not the middle sibling.
    The Americans also tend to grill thicker steaks than we normally get here in Australia so before the middle of the steak gets cooked, the outsides are nicely charred but if you look in the Weber videos on their site, the steaks they cook are more just browned rather than charred when medium rare so maybe that is the result they were aiming for in the beginning.
    To the average BBQer, the Q220/2200 would be adequate but those who like advanced BBQing will find them lacking in grunt....however the Q220 will do a nice roast.

cheers

Davo

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Official Post

Davo, I'm not sure if you've seen it but I've been playing around with gas flow on the Ziggy to help with roasting. The thread is HERE

• Davo, I'm not sure if you've seen it but I've been playing around with gas flow on the Ziggy to help with roasting. The thread is HERE

Yeah Gumb, just read it....nifty device, might look at this for the Q320.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Official Post

I've never had a 320 but would that extra regulator be necessary when you have two separate burners to play with ?

• I've never had a 320 but would that extra regulator be necessary when you have two separate burners to play with ?

Nah probably not Gumb but just thought it would be easier to turn the gas off instead of reaching under the Q for the gas tank valve. I'm a lazy git...gimme a break hahahaha!!

• Official Post

So where do these new and better regulators come from ?

• Cheers, which one to you get ?

I think without a doubt the family Q3200 is the best one for you, they don't use much gas in comparison with the traditional 4 burner, I use a 9kg cylinder with a standby 4kg for those moments when it does decide and get them filled when they become completed...that it's the best insurance if you don't have town gas. Town gas would be the most economical but it's a dirtier gas and it doesn't get as hot as LPG.

The Q3200 has only 2 burners but does the job better than many 4 burners...at 21,000BTU let me tell ya....those Q3200's get hot.

The Family Q3200 also affords you more flat plate room as one of the grills are removed so that the flatplate fits in it's place whereas the 2200 series, the plate sits on top of the grill bars and can slide around.

with 4 in the family including 3 men...I reckon the Family Q is the best choice.

I've had all 3 sizes, baby1000 series, 2200 series and 3200 series and the family is the choice in my books and theres only 2 of us here.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!