• Hello team

I picked up a couple of lamb necks from Troy's last week - looking to cook them up either Anzac Day or on the weekend.

Eaten them plenty of times, on a whole spit (with Father in Law fro Greek easter) but Ive never cooked them before.

Is this just a standard low and slow cook? They are about 1kg each but i have no idea how long they will take.
    Anything special or different about how they need to be cooked, managed or prepped??

Any tips or advice would be great

Kamado Joe Classic II - Hark Gas Smoker - Coolabah 6 Burner - Beefeater Bugg

• 1 KG isn't very big. I'd be doing a medium roast at say 150c pit temp until they hit 65c internal and then rest for a short time. You can add some rosemary sprigs or just add salt to them prior.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• bone in I presume?

When we do a kill up the farm people sometimes don't want them so I nab them. They make a great curry or stew, but I must confess I've never bbq'd them.

Very much a working muscle, if I were to bbq a neck it would definitely be low and slow. You would really need to get it to the point where the meat is falling off the bone. With the irregular shape of the bone it would make it very difficult to get to the meat if it wasn't, hence why I normally braise them.

If you do bbq I will be watching with interest.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Thanks guys. Yeah I was thinking low and slow too (given that’s effectively how it cooks in whole spit - probably not as low)

Just wasn’t sure temp, time etc

Photos here (I’m hoping this works - first time using tapatalk app)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kamado Joe Classic II - Hark Gas Smoker - Coolabah 6 Burner - Beefeater Bugg

• I did some on a boys weekend a couple months back, I just treated them the same as the shoulder I was also cooking at the time (Cook at 275f-300f til bones come out with ease) they came out great, quite similar in taste to the shoulder from what i remember, which isn't a lot if I am completely honest.

West Aus - Weber Q2200, Weber Kettle 57cm One Touch Platinum, Weber Kettle Compact 57cm, 47cm Bullet Smoker, Akorn Jnr

• That's definitely something I would braise till falling of the bone only.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!