• Hi All,

I brought a new wireless thermometer, as wanted to have more than 1 robe. I have a Gasmate one that I got from Bunnings a few years ago, and I was thinking of going to get another one of them. Until my boss showed me what he had brought of Ebay (link below).

Ebay - InkbirdAU

I also looked at reviews on Youtube.

So I ended up buying 1 for myself and my brother inlaw, and yesterday was the first time I had a chance to use it.

I found that the device was brilliant and easy to use. The App is easy and has some presets already there.
    It also has a Graph for all the probes to show the temp across the time.

You can set each probe differently for different temps or meats/food.
    Also you can set it up for smoking (eg. hot,cold, bbq)

The other reason i brought this model was, I dont have to buy batteries anymore, as it has a Lithium Battery in it like a mobile phone, and the battery life is really, after having it on for approx 12 hours yesterday, it was still had 88% battery left.

The bluetooth range for it was really good, as I was able to walk all around my house and not drop the connection.
    It has alarms that can be set to let you know about temps for food, or smokers, etc..
    It also has a disconnected alarm, meaning if your phone gets disconnected from the thermometer, it will beep at you. Even on your phone it will beep at you.

Only downside that I have found so far is this. I made the mistake of closing the app down, which meant that I lost all the graphs for the cook up till that time. There is no back up for them.

Other than that it is a product that I would recommend to anyone to use.

Will let you know how its still going in 6 month s time

Thanks

Dasnowman

Fornetto Razzo 18, Gas BBQ

• Only bummer part about the Bluetooth, is I wouldn't be able to leave home whilst app was running. I'm not staying in phone range for a 6 hour or more cook.
    Suppose I could use an old spare phone and leave it near the BBQ.

GMG DB, small Weber kettle. That's it. It's all I have left now. ;(

• Thanks very much for the review. I don’t have one but I read up and the loss of graphs is a common complaint. Sounds like the hardware side is good.

Thanks again. I’ll put my review of the IRF tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sorry I should have clarified that what I was referring to was server mode via internet so i can monitor Pit and internal temps when away from home via phone.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Gee they are good value hey. Igrill 2 costs a lot more and only ships with 2 probes. I like the fact that the base unit is rechargeable too on the Inkbird

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• Good review and I hear what you are saying @yakabot

that's where the GMG is outstanding.

I am now looking at a Smartfire for my Kamado's for the same reason.

Can smartfire do temps without fan? My dream is FireBoard with wifi for that reason.

Also does smartfire have a damper when it is off so fire can be shut down? Some people say that the fan even when off allows enough air that fire keeps burning.

• Gee they are good value hey. Igrill 2 costs a lot more and only ships with 2 probes. I like the fact that the base unit is rechargeable too on the Inkbird

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep whole reason I got it was because of the probes and that I dont have to buy batteries anymore :D:D:D

Sorry I should have clarified that what I was referring to was server mode via internet so i can monitor Pit and internal temps when away from home via phone.

yep got to work out that next so I can do the same thing

Fornetto Razzo 18, Gas BBQ

• @Bilda

Fire board is a good piece of gear but I am opting for the Australian invention. I was looking at it sometime ago but couldn't justify the price.

I wouldn't let it shut down my Kamado's remotely as there will still be latent heat in both pits due to the design of Kamado's. This would mean that whatever I had in there would be overcooked. I would simply use the plug supplied to shut it down manually.

I would have thought that it would not be recommended to shut it down whilst smartfire is still attached to the Pit.

@Bruckster @Kookabanus can probably answer the question.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I remove mine straight after use. I wouldn’t want it still attached when it’s not in operation it gets dam hot down there!

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• You won't be able to effectively shutdown a kamado with the smartfire, it let's a little air through when the fan isn't spinning. I usually just pull out the whole adapter and shutdown normally.
    You can use it without the fan if you just want to use it for the probes, I do it quite often. :thumb up:

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• I just purchased a FireBoard from the states, after considering the inkbird which sounds like a great bit of gear,I bit the bullet and forked out quite a bit for the FireBoard mainly for the wifi option and the fan drive which is a bloody ripper,if it weren’t for those two reasons I would have gone for the inkbird

• You can use it without the fan if you just want to use it for the probes, I do it quite often. :thumb up:

That’s the info I wanted to know. I love the idea of supporting the local version but it seemed the control board “brains” is part of the enclosure of the fan and I wasn’t sure if they could be run independently.

• I just purchased a FireBoard from the states, after considering the inkbird which sounds like a great bit of gear,I bit the bullet and forked out quite a bit for the FireBoard mainly for the wifi option and the fan drive which is a bloody ripper,if it weren’t for those two reasons I would have gone for the inkbird

Yes I want WIFI. I left the ribs going when popping down to a quick function the other day and spent 45 minutes thinking about how the Ribbies were going. Turns out they temps were solid as...

• Only bummer part about the Bluetooth, is I wouldn't be able to leave home whilst app was running. I'm not staying in phone range for a 6 hour or more cook.
    Suppose I could use an old spare phone and leave it near the BBQ.

Inkbird make the Chef Tools ones that I sell, they use the same app and same probes.

You can leave it going, the Bluetooth version they use is rock solid, I often drive up to the supermarket mid cook...it will beep as it loses connection (about 100m away) then will automatically reconnect when I get back in range.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!