Cape Grim Chuck eye roast

• A special weekend (Bathurst), deserved a special cook.
    Having never eaten, let alone cook any Cape Grim beef, I was very excited to have this little beauty:

After some consideration and lots of researching this great site, I came up with a game plan 8)
    I set up a snake in the Kettle and put a drip pan with a cans worth of beer in it, under where the meat will go.

Then I rubbed the Chuckie with some garlic, salt, pepper, Dorrigo peppercorns, cumin, thyme, paprika and cayenne pepper, all blended together in a spice grinder.
    Once the snake was “alive”, I put some Banksia, Hickory and apple wood around the edge and on it went:

After about 3.5 hours the internal temp was sitting at around 70°C and it was time for the next step.
    I took it off the grill and placed it into a roasting pan on top of some diced onions.
    The liquid was a combination of red wine, beef/chicken stock and molasses.

Then I covered it with a few layers of foil and popped it into a 150°C oven:

After about another 3 hours, I took the foil off and turned the oven up and after half an hour it was probing tender and the thermometer told me the meat was around 100°C.
    I then wrapped it up in foil and towels and we got the rest of the dinner organised.
    I’m like a kid at Christmas time every time I unwrap a rested piece of smoky meat, and this was no exception 8o
    It smelt and looked great!

Onto the plate with some veges and dinner was done :yum)

Well, everything I have read about Cape Grim is true!!
    What a delightfully delicious piece of meat this was, and I cannot wait to try the rack of ribs currently sitting in the freezer!
    And to top it all of young Scotty came through with a win on the mountain :clap:
    I hope everyone else had a great weekend of Q and I am looking forward to catching up with all the posts :cheers:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!