Masterbuilt Charcoal Series Gravity Grill

• Get a bag of Kingsford briquettes and use some at the bottom of the pile with Heat Beads on top.

Kingsfords burn away quickly but are much easier and faster to light so you are basically using them as fire starters. They'll get going easily with your normal firelighters under them.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• What he said. They shouldn't be needed with lump.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I used lump & heat beads in my unit when I had it.

The coconut heat beads seem to burn better IMO and I only ever needed 3/4 fire lighters to get going.

Only ever had an issue lighting once or twice.....from shutting the lid to soon I feel.

Z Grill MINI.....Aldi Gasser.......Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• There are three ways of running the Masterbuilt: Run on Charcoal (or Briquettes) only. Put wood splits in the hopper with the charcoal, or under the fire in the ash bin

Thanks Urban Griller

I recently saw a video by Jeremy Yoder on YT (Mad scientist bbq) on how to best use these different types of smoke and at what stages of the cook.

It goes against the popular view that "only clean smoke is good".

I'm glad there are ways on the MB to control this also.

• Thanks Urban Griller

I recently saw a video by Jeremy Yoder on YT (Mad scientist bbq) on how to best use these different types of smoke and at what stages of the cook.

It goes against the popular view that "only clean smoke is good".

I'm glad there are ways on the MB to control this also.

It changes the game if you are able to manipulate the level of smoke throughout the cooking.

• Or hit up Costco for a discounted price.

I really didn't want to return it because it's working great. I'm having a lot of fun playing with it and if I had to assemble another one... I wouldn't as I'm too time strapped.

Showed some good pics of the damage to the Costco manager and he agreed to a healthy discount ($200).

Everybody wins.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Awesome. I read somewhere that Bunning have a gravity fed BBq coming soon and it looked identical. I think it was the 800 size.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Could you share your method? I'm really keen on trying this.

Sorry if a bit vague, but I wasn't paying attention to the times.

I salted the pork for a few days with rock salt both top and bottom.

Started the cook at 220c, after about 30-45 minutes I put the temperature down to 180c.

The crackling was amazing, but too salty. As was the pork. Probably because I salted it too long. Next time I'll reduce the amount of salt or make sure to rinse it off better before the cook. Mind you, it still disappeared off the plate. First in slices, then with hokkien noodles.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Sorry if a bit vague, but I wasn't paying attention to the times.

I salted the pork for a few days with rock salt both top and bottom.

Started the cook at 220c, after about 30-45 minutes I put the temperature down to 180c.

The crackling was amazing, but too salty. As was the pork. Probably because I salted it too long. Next time I'll reduce the amount of salt or make sure to rinse it off better before the cook. Mind you, it still disappeared off the plate. First in slices, then with hokkien noodles.

The neat thing with pork belly is that it tends to be ready whenever the crackle is done.

I had a problem with crackle being too salty, but using that spikey thing (forget what they're called, starts with a "J"?) rather than scoring it has solved the problem. I don't salt the bottom either, though. Just lots on the top and then brush it all off (but it gets trapped in the score lines, which is why the spikey thing helps).

I love having leftover pork belly in a chili-basil stir fry.

• Cookup yesterday all on the MB800.

Overnight Brisket went on at Midnight at 225F.

Woke up 6am to put on spare ribs and wrap brisket at 250F.

Then with 2 hours to go added chicken wings and snags at 250F.

Then with 1 hour to go added rump cap steaks and removed everything else to sear at 700F.

Everything was ready to be sliced for lunch.

Best brisket I've ever done (haven't done too many) and I'm really happy with the MB.

• What a spread. How many you cooking for ?

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!