Just another loin roast in a Weber

• I was going to do a crown roast but took advice that it wasn’t going to go far enough for 20 guests, so it would have been fiddly to do two or more and get them timed ok.

so I opted for the easy way out and went for the old Xmas favourite, the loin roast. Biggest one I’ve cooked, 4.5kg and just fit in the Weber. Yes I did take it out the plastic before cooking!

Xmas morning I opened it up, patted dry and pricked it with my new skin pricker thingamajig ($2 bucks on AliExpress!!)

Then very heavily caked it with ground table salt and then put the same amount of bicarb on top as well. It went back into the fridge for 2 hours.

after two hours I gave it quick rinse under the tap and a wipe down with apple cider vinegar to neutralise the bicarb. Then re-salted the pork and seasoned with some garlic granules, onion powder and cracked pepper.

because it was so big I decided on 94 heat beads, split between two sides. I blitzed them with the heat gun to get them screaming hot then put the loin on with some apple wood chunks on the grille.

Popped it on a roasting rack with al foil under to protect the bottom from the coals.

I wanted to get it to 62c so took it off at 58c to allow for some carry over cooking and stripped the crackling off straight away. Took 1:40 which was pretty close to my predicted 1:50. It was the best crackling I’ve ever done, guests were pleased.

Meat was really moist. Got lots of comments from guests which is always nice to receive.

Edited once, last by Bilda (December 26, 2019 at 7:16 PM).

• Good use of the foil. I did something similar when I did my Sunday Weber roasts before the kamado took over.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Do you know what the temp was in there with all those heat beads going?

Looked great.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Been thinking about this, it must have been over 300c maybe even 350c.

I figured throwing on a big, relatively cool lump of meat would suck up all those joules very quick, which is why I decided to go big on the coal.

I had taken the pork out the fridge half an hour before but was still 9c when it went on.

I know that @ginger_spice gets good results with 70-80 briquettes on smaller pieces of porchetta and loin so just took a guess and settled on 90 bricks. The last 4 (for 94 total) I threw in at the spur of the moment as a gut feel.

Edited once, last by Bilda (December 28, 2019 at 11:50 AM).

• That looks pretty damd good. How much crackling did you get in when carving?.

Sent from my electric phone using my finger.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!