• Well what a day parted with one of my babies today (Saffire) but welcomed a Near new Primo Xl into the house. Probably be a couple of messages to include all of the pics.

A big thanks to @Bilda as I needed a like minded BBQ person to get this done given the sheer weight and size of this thing.

Given we were also getting a bedroom suite as well I got another of my mates to come as well. He focused on the bedroom suite and Bilda focussed on the grill.

This made life a little easy as I know Bilda knows his grills.

I must say I was really impressed with the quality of the ceramic and Grills on this thing.

It was evident as you will see in the pics this grill is basically new with no creosote on any of the internals.

There was way to much Charcoal and ash in the grill and I reckon he would not have been able to light it given how full and tightly packed it was.

Fire box prior to a vacuum.

Bit cleaner now.

Bottom grate and insulation piece. As you can see basically new.

Hard at work.

Packed up ready to go.

And it's in with a very interested onlooker.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• From here we loaded up the Saffire to take in over to @ginger_spice place.

Again assisted by @Bilda we strapped the Saffire in and away we went. Dropped Bilda off on the way home.

A great day out with everything going according to plan.

Returned home to fire the new girl up and do a simple hot burn and she is sitting smack on 500f with bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel vent closed over but wheel fully open.

Put deflectors in and it's been sitting on this temp for about 2 hours and hasn't moved.

Little bit of rust on the daisy wheel so have put some vegetable oil on it to season on the way through.

Nicely the Akorn Jr fits on the table for when I use it as well so that's a bonus.

Goodbye beautiful girl. Get somebody else hooked on Kamado cooking.

Burn baby Burn.

Bit of surface rust to deal with.

Bit of vegetable oil all seems well.

And she is in, gives you some idea of the size of it next to the DB.

I am sitting here having a Makers Mark Bourbon and revelling in the sweet feeling of satisfaction.

What a day and what a feeling of achievement.

Oh and off to bed early tonight after a big day.

And no they didn't throw in the rope and handcuffs :D

Again thanks for the help and support today @Bilda

Now to get cooking on this thing.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Mate that’s awesome ! And to see it next to the db you see how big this unit is ! Do you know the weight of it ?

And didn’t you just meet @Bilda on this forum ? You have both made a good friendship through it !

Black 3200, charcoal kettle, Akorn J, Gmg Daniel boone

• Yep the thing weighs close to 100kgs with firebox grills etc.. in it. They say about 80kgs with it all out of it. I reckon about 65-70kgs. 2-3 person lift.

@Urban Griller Table is OK it needs new wheels and a new colour but thats something that can be done down the track. Do you remember when i first rang you at an ungodly hour about the Saffire ? This time I was confident in knowing what to look for and i passed on your BGE Kamado user guide to Ginger spice as well. Thanks for your advice previously.

@GurillaYes only met Bilda on the forum but when i put a deposit down on this thing i was concerned that i needed somebody to help me move it who was like minded in terms of a backyard BBQ person who would respect the grill for what it is and had some experience with charcoal bbqs. One of the first people i rang was Bilda. Boss first then Bilda.

Bilda gets it. E.G. Bilda goes about cleaning the firebox out and just gets the big bits of Charcoal out as salvage then bins the rest, when i turn up with a vacuum for the ash in this thing the old owner cant believe i turn up with a vacuum and Bilda goes "Smart move" then when we finish cleaning it out Bilda empties the Vacuum into the owners bin. Does all this without asking any questions whilst i am running around checking that all the nuts on this thing are tight before moving it and getting the bed situation sorted.

We know each other we dont hang out as we are both busy in our daily lives but we respect each others passion for BBQ.

Mind you I probably owe him and his family a meal as thanks on the way through.

@rangabbq yes mate the grill itself is mint. the black marks you can see on the inside of the firebox are scratches from charcoal. As an estimate I reckon he has only cooked 20 times on this.

Its not wierd to think about it when you cant sleep because thats what i was doing all week whilst thinking "have i done the right thing, whats wrong with this, its too good to be true".

@dazzmaster yep it was a great deal. Too good to walk away from. I was telling the boss at the time this is the last grill purchase and i am ever making, this at a cost which is 1/6th of the cost of this thing new. The sale of the Saffire to a fellow forum member at the same time was just a bonus. I would have listed it for more money on Gumtree but for a Forum member i wanted to simply come out even on the deal. I havnt got a cover with this thing yet ($180.00) so thats to come.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Edited 2 times, last by Jimmy70 (February 24, 2020 at 2:43 PM).

• Well this is a little disappointing :mad as:

oh well can still use it and will order the new style firebox down the track which has a cutout piece in it. I think they are about $350.00.

still got this thing for a steal so can’t complain.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• That will probably still last for many years to come. You could always patch it up yourself as well.
    Check to see the cast iron grate in the bottom isn't warped or anything. Other primo owners have noticed that sometimes a warped grate can push on the firebox enough to crack it.

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• $280 for a new firebox. 6 week wait at the moment.

No need to order at all yet quote from supplier was as per @Kookabanus it will be good for a couple of years at least yet.

Will order when I have a spare $280 and keep it until this one finally fails.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• I don't cook on those type of units, but I would think other then looks it would not matter. I have cracked a lot of pizza stones, and other then aesthetics, it does not really matter. It would make a difference in heat retention in this unit?

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Well this is a little disappointing :mad as:

oh well can still use it and will order the new style firebox down the track which has a cutout piece in it. I think they are about $350.00.

still got this thing for a steal so can’t complain.

This isnt a problem Jimmy, a few of us have had cracked fireboxes in our Saffire/Royal etc for years without problem. I recall a member with one in 3 pieces for some time without issues. I cracked my Saffire one years ago now.

• Yep i know, just want to have the spare for when it finally does fail that way i wont have to with 6 weeks for a replacement.

I am in no hurry to do so at this point will just wait until i have some spare cash.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Just use refractory cement and it’s good to go 24 hours later aha!

Yeah no issue from what I’ve seen with some kamados still cooking well with fire boxes in pieces

Black 3200, charcoal kettle, Akorn J, Gmg Daniel boone

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!