Pizza on another Grill from usual

• So tonight I was trying Pizza on the Primo as opposed to on the GMG attachment as ultimately I will sell the GMG and just have Primo, Akorn Jr and ziggy portable.

so setup was get grill up to 500f roughly with deflectors and pizza stone on top of grill.

Couple of high rye bourbons on the way through.

I left some wood chunks in from earlier cooks to see how that went.

outcome was great but with hindsight I should have put stone and deflectors in from the start to contribute to stone temp. Base was not as cooked as much as top. Smoke flavour was great imho but daughter was a little not impressed with same.

First try was not a complete fail so will try again and then make up my mind.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• That's the trick cooking pizzas on a kamado, getting both top and bottom cooked at the same time.
    Before I bought the Maximus and was cooking them in the Royal, I ended up using pizza trays with the holes in them and that worked quite well. Oven temp about 220c and they took about 12-15 minutes.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Yep, as GG said. It's a matter of trial and error until you find your own sweet spot but the trays made a big difference to mine. I probably tried several different methods and temperatures trying to get them exactly as i wanted so keep at it.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• So how long were the stone and deflectors in before you started cooking @Jimmyboy?
    The primo owners rave about the "fredstone", it's supposed to be great for making pizzas. It is however, another pricey accessory...

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• I only put it in for about 30 mins but I think next time I will try without the deflectors.

Yes have seen that on the book of face (Fredstone). Don't think it's necessary for me as I already have the pizza stone which is approx 1cm thick.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• I did pizza night last night with friends over. Sorry no pictures again.

I put the Fredstone in as soon as I knew the charcoal was alight so that everything heated evenly. I did not use the differser plates, rather the fire was direct onto the Fredstone. - This is the way I usually do it. The instructions say to heat it slowly with the rest of the BBQ.

I ran the oven around 270C (500f) using the dome thermomiter, I closed the vents part way, so that this temp was held, for around 90 mins all up. (Drinking and eating was involved) - I find 270 optimal, so everything has a chance to properly cook, without burning.

Crusts were well done, and the cheese nice and bubbly as well. I did a thicker crust than I ordinarillly would, these turned out well. everyone enjoyed their pizzas, they better they made them.

Next time, I do Gluten free, for my gluten intollerant and celiac friends, I will also add a mashed potato to the mix, to give better flavour and mouth feel.

Overall, i feel the Fredstone is a great investment, I do two pizza side by side, so the wait time between pizzas is not as long.

Cheers. Paul

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbup:

• I don't do a lot of pizzas but will try the stone straight on the grill without deflectors next time.

What else is Fredstone good for ???

I am assuming bread ?

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• I learned to and ate primarliy home made bread from childhood. (Thanks mum and Kenwood) So making bread is just second nature for me.

I have done bread on there, the thing is baking bread in the charcol smoke creates a very dark, burnt looking crust (it is not).

So while cob loaves are great to do at say 220c for about 20 mins, it is a bit of overkill, but definaltly a great party peice.

it is a porous stone, so it is strongly reccomended not to get wet. SO no direct cooking of anything wet on it. Such as frying onions or tomatoes. As you would on a grill tray.

I really only have used it as a pizza and bread stone, and as I stated in my introduction, I was primarily interested in getting this as a pizza oven, it was only when it arrived, that I discovered its many other uses.

Cheers, Paul

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!