looking for a pellet smoker under $1000 mark

• hey guys new to the forum

been smoking a while in a vertical charcoal smoker and got good results but getting a bit over watching the temperature all the time\

im in the range for a begginer pellet smoker that wont cost me and arm and a leg and get good results

iv been looking at the pit boss from bunnings but if any one knows any others could you please link them

cheer :) :):):):D:D

• Where are you based ????

and welcome to SFaF.

head over to the Introductions thread and let us know what weapons you have in your armory.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• Welcome Jake,

I was going to suggest the Pit Boss when I saw the subject heading, but I see you already know about it. If you've been to Bunnings you may have also seen the Fornetto pellet smoker, be wary of that one unless you are prepared to do the modifications to make it safe.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• What are the choices over there under $1000?

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• New: Pitboss, Louisiana Grill, Fornetto and small Traeger. Pretty much just the base models in these brands.

Used: @cjbfisher picked up a GMG Prime for that price a little while ago.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• Official Post

Pit Boss is the go for that budget. The Fornetto is a fire trap unless it's modified so I'd forget that one. All reports on here about the Pit Boss have been good.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Welcome Jake,

I was going to suggest the Pit Boss when I saw the subject heading, but I see you already know about it. If you've been to Bunnings you may have also seen the Fornetto pellet smoker, be wary of that one unless you are prepared to do the modifications to make it safe.

thx bud looking at aiming at that now

• Welcome @superjake132.... :thumbup: ...Looks like you have made a decision. IMHO The Pit Boss is great value for an entry level smoker and will serve you well. I had one myself for around 12months and enjoyed playing around with it...in saying that as @Jimmyboy mentioned you really are spoilt for choice if you wish to spend up to the $1000.00 budget you have mentioned.
    Louisianna @ Costco...$999.00 delivered too ATM.....Traeger Pro22 @ BBQsG $999.00…. Z Grill 700E...…& GMG from $999.00..
    Good luck & look forward to some pictures of your purchase..

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E and the New MINI.....Aldi & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke.

• Can you get the GMG for $999? How big is the Z Grill 700?

Narm's question above is still relevant, what quantities are being cooked? How many are you cooking for?

The pit boss is much larger than the GMG for example, so if you are only cooking for a couple of people in time you will get your money back with pellet usage. Although a more extreme example, the pellet usage of my big traegar vs my brothers GMG DC is very different.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• would the vertical or horizontal in the pitboss be the best buy? I know you cant grill on the vertical but any other pro/cons ?

For me, I'd go for the horizontal because I like to cook larger cuts like briskets, which would struggle to fit in the vertical. However, if you like to cook smaller cuts like ribs, wings etc the amount you could fit in the vertical is amazing.

Very effin UDS, GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• Did this dance a few months ago. Ended up with the vertical.

The bosston is basically a copy of z Grills and is usually advertised on appliances online between 490-600. It's probably fine, I was just concerned about customer support and warranty etc.

The vertical is great however in hindsight I would probably get the horizontal.

Main issues:
    Temperature variance between the top and bottom, and front and back. Need to put a thermometer in a few spots just to get an idea. It seemed to improve after a few cooks once I toggled the top cap and gave the grill more time to come to temp without putting anything in

Cleaning: the glass front is handy but gets super dirty, so does the rest of the unit, not sure how this compares to a horizontal but all the ash catches around the bottom and needs to be regularly scrubbed and vacuumed. I get the feeling the horizontal requires less cleaning.

Size: only issue with the size has been cooking decent sized brisket, it just means I'm limited in what I can buy, but as I'm usually only cooking for 2 alot of the time this isn't really a huge issue

There are probably a few pros that I might not appreciate as I haven't tried a horizontal, I've read it does a better job for smoking just due to the configuration . The giant hopper is great but you need to top up the water pan every 2 hrs or so anyway so having a hopper that can hold 24hrs worth of pellets isn't super helpful.

• Can you get the GMG for $999?

Yep....
    https://www.bbqsandoutdoor.com…ce-daniel-boone-non-wifi/

How big is the Z Grill 700?

.45m2 cooking.....Between a Traeger Pro20 & Pro22 approx.

but you need to top up the water pan every 2 hrs or so anyway so

I've done a hack on mine for longer cooks......Using Hark parts from their single door....rails & water bowl..leaves a bit less room though in the bottom end.

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E and the New MINI.....Aldi & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke.

• I've been torn for months buying one was in the brink a while back but had to spend the cash on something else and now back I the market and the vertical is looking good as the space in the back with my 4 burner isn't the biggest, only a small family so would never be running a full size brisket in there, and the unit is a little bit cheaper. So overall you dont regret the vertical ?

• Official Post

Rather than a vertical, which @CozI'mHausen said he probably wouldn't buy again with hindsight, what about the GMG Davy Crockett ? I

You said you don't need to feed a big family and the DC will easily accomodate a meal for up to 3-4 people. I love mine and you'll find a lot of posts in here where I've used it to cook things like roast chicken at 180c, fish at 150c and pulled pork at 110c for 10 hours. They are so versatile and turn out great food and don't take up much room if you are short on available BBQ space. You can take it camping or on a picnic since it will run on 240v or 12v.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Definately don't regret the vertical. Bit of grass is greener envy. If the vertical suits your situation better then that's great but if you have room for the horizontal I think it would be better to use

• Get the pitboss horizontal from bunnings and smash out good tasting food.

I have cooked wings, fish, a pig for xmas and everything in between.

I did a comparison on here between the pitboss and GMG and it was great value.

If u were set on the vertical i would get the costco one over the bunnings one. Build quality and internal capacity are chalk and cheese.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• I think I'd actually want the bigger vertical from Costco, you could fit a brisket, the capacity is enormous and the footprint is smaller. The only thing stopping me is the GMG pizza attachment for my DB.
    If I was starting from scratch I think the Costco vertical specifically (Bunnings too small for me), would be number 1 on my list

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!