Akorn on Gumtree

• Hey guys, some of you know I've been keeping an eye out for a Kamado, well I found this one last night for $250 and decided to pick it up this afternoon. Great condition, barely used and I can learn to master it while keeping an eye out for a $600 primo XL haha.

Managed to get it home and up on the deck just in time for a sunset shot.

Wasn't sure where to post so since I spotted a bargain I put it here.

• Nice score, that'll serve you well.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - GMG Davy Crockett - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• That does look barely used. I loved my akorn before i got rid of it. Wife wouldn't let me keep too many toys sadly otherwise i would still happily have it. Great little bbq they are for starting out.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Fired her up today just for a play, temps are pretty stable once dialed in (took me a fair bit of fiddling but I'll get there). Then brought it up to 650f and grilled some burgers that went down a treat. Never cooked with charcoal before so pretty happy so far.

• Getting to know your cooker is a real thing.

It takes a little while to master the vent settings and getting wood chunks to smoke correctly (thin blue not thick white) but you will get there.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• Once you get a few cooks on it and she gums up a bit it will be much more controlable.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Thanks guys, not at all concerned so far, consider it quite easy in general, just made my adjustments too big so I was going up and down for a while. I'll probably have a few more goes before I cook anything low and slow.

Probably do a chook next and then will move to pulled pork as you can't really stuff either of them up too bad

• You'll find that leaving the bottom vent about half open and playing with the top vent works well for roasting.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - GMG Davy Crockett - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Also just a quick question, the lump I got is chargriller lump and it's like giant bits of tree, way bigger than all the videos etc I've seen. will that make it harder to get consistent temperature? Should I cut it down so it's more uniform? As I said I didn't find it too difficult to get to temp so I guess it can't matter too much.

• I'd be cutting it down so you can build a pile which is more even. I have some robot turds here and I break them in half so it's a similar thing.

• Probe position would certainly make a difference but it's good advice to check it in boiling water.

• Cooked some koftas tonight, was trying to very slowly bring it upto around 375f, at 200f halved the top and bottom, at 250 halved them again and again at 300 but kept going up, bottom vent was set to 0.5 and top vent barely open to hold 375.

I assume this would be due to air getting in some other way? Is it common for them to need a better seal somehow? What's the best way to check where it leaks? Should I put a smoke tube in the bottom during the day when I can actually see haha?

Could it be to do with having not much charcoal in the pit because I didn't top it up and there wasn't that much left. Guess airflow would be increased

• Yes, give it plenty of smoke and see where it's coming out. If it hasn't had much use, the top will gunk up after while.

• Great work I love mine.

Swap the temperature gauge for something better. the one that they ship it with is very very slow, so not accurate.

a tiny bit of felt In the door slid helps seal the vent better too.

I got a Manlaw one at @Jimmyboys suggestion and it works great. Best $15 you’ll spend. Easy to change.

I can now rely on it to be pretty close to my digital probe types.

I reckon the tip top temp that @Urban Griller sells is great too. Does a fine job for temp control.

And I find these things cook 20% faster than the ceramic types, my theory is low fuel usage, there for low draw... humidity related.

Deep dish pizza pan on deflector grill keeps it clean or as water pan. Or us the top rack and put pan on grille to catch drippings.

• Your vent settings sound normal to me.

I go full open till top and bottom to within 50C then knock down to 2 top and bottom. Then when 20c off I knock down to 1 top and bottom.

to hold temp is like .75 on top and a match width on bottom.

they are not ceramic so have no thermal sink and are insulated (fibreglass inside the two layers of steel - you’ll see this if you change thermometer) so need very little fire to hold temp. Little fire = little oxygen needs = little airflow.

Pinch the lid seal all around to help it regain shape.

Early models had reported leaks from behind the bottom vent, fix with high heat silicone. I did mine when brand new, it already had some silicone in there so was probably wasn’t required.

a tiny bit of felt between the bottom vent slide door and on the slide base seals her up tight for when shutting down, but again is probably overkill.

I don’t think you have any leaks, sounds normal

Edited once, last by Bilda ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!