What are you cooking ? - July

• No salt, no cure? Just a Hog casing? Anything to protect it while it hangs? You know it is ready when? I will assume it has to stay above freezing?

Pork mince, about 15% fat content. Salt, sweet chilli for colour, Hot chilli for heat, some fennel seeds for flavour and Rose wine. Into natural casings, hung in the shed for 3-4 weeks. Curing time depends on air temp over the period. Simple as that... Note well, my dad is old school, he uses no scales or set ratios, in his shed, a handful is the certified unit of measure ;)

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

• Shepherds pie made with the leftover lamb shoulder from Sunday...:yum):yum).

The pie was way better quality than that of picture 3....:rolleyes:

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E.....Aldi/Masterbuilt & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke.....Akorn Jr.......

• No salt, no cure? Just a Hog casing? Anything to protect it while it hangs? You know it is ready when? I will assume it has to stay above freezing?

Salt for curing correct. Hog casings, 1.5 -1.8 inches in width, 16 inches long. No protection whilst hanging in the shed, we don't get to freezing down here mate, between 7-12 degrees at night. How do we know they're ready? Look, feel and Italian intuition;)

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone

• Gumb

Closed the thread.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!