Skyflame Ash Basket

• Official Post

I'd been thinking about a Kick Ash basket for my Big Green Egg for a while but I spotted this one on Amazon and got it sent from the USA.

It does the same job but has holes rather than the Kick Ash style of rods.

I like this design better and think it will hold the smaller chunks in the basket but still allow for good air flow.

I'm keen to give it a go.

$95 with free delivery using Amazon Prime.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• I like this design better and think it will hold the smaller chunks in the basket but still allow for good air flow.

Nice find @Gumb...like ya thinking too....makes good sense.

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E.....Aldi/Masterbuilt & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke.

• I will be interested to see the results vs say a KAB. My only concern would be that the smaller stuff may block the holes that's all.

I have always used a KAB and whilst yes it does let some small bits of Charcoal pass but I am no too concerned. It never seems like a lot and it is only really small stuff.

No option for a Primo though so KAB it is.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• Official Post

You could be right about the airflow and it will probably take a few goes before I strike any trouble if it does block up.

We shall see.

I have a steel plate and a small grill which go in the bottom of the BGE normally so at this stage, I've removed the plate which has holes in it like the basket does. I don't need to have either to hold the basket up but I'll leave the grill in place for now to help the airflow.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Official Post

I've had a few meals in the BGE since I put this in and all I can say is how did I get by without a basket all these years ! They are brilliant and I just bgive it a shake and all the dust ends up in the base and the smaller bits stay in the basket and burn away during the next cook. The thing is holding temperature beautifully too.

I'm Happy. :):bbq:

• Well, the basket is after just over a year old and I went to shake out the ash today and this happened. :mad as: :mad as:

• Well that's gotta improve airflow...

Do you do much high-heat cooking?

I've had a kick-ash for a few years now, after my previous kick-ash basically disintegrated (after a few years of fairly regular high-heat cooking for stuff like pizzas), and it's holding up OK.

• No high heat cooking, just the usual low&slow and roasts so my Egg hardly gets over about 200c.

Looking at the reviews on Amazon, it's a very common problem with this basket and quite a few have failed much earlier that mine did. Some after only a few cooks.

This is one product to be avoided. I'll be buying a Kick Ash from Chris to replace it unless I can work a fix on this one.

• see if you can get some stainless wire.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• That could work. I was thinking of a couple of metal (ss?) strips across the bottom attached with ss rivets and then use rivest to secure the base to the straps.

• Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Fire Pit | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Weber Genesis |

• Thanks mate, I'll give that a shot. The holes in the sides and base should make it easy to do.

• Threading the wire will be easy, trying to think of a way to fix it once threaded. Some sort of crimping joiner?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Yeah, getting it nice and tight will be an issue. It's an awkward shape so I can't see how I'd clamp down the wire using pliers. Maybe twisting it and then cutting off the excess would work.

• I'm not sure what you mean with that one.

• You could try stainless steel cable ties

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• I'm not sure what you mean with that one.

Put the wire through the loop end and crimp with one of these:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/taskmaster-1-6mm-copper-swage-12-pack_p0237874

Loop the wire over the hook end pulling as tight as you can then crimp again. It's now attached to the turnbuckle. The turnbuckle is threaded, so if you need to tighten it more you can by turning the loop.

You could try stainless steel cable ties

I didn't know they existed, that could be even easier.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!