Smokai Cold Smoker - Cheese and Fish

• Official Post

It's 6 degrees here in Melbourne so it's a great day to do some cold smoking. I've had issues keeping the Smokai lit using very fine wood chips so this time I went back to pellets and just used some from the supply I have for the GMG Davy Crockett. The original air pump died so I got one on eBay which seems to pump a bit more air and has a control dial to regulate the flow.

The old converted gas bottle makes a perfect cold smoke container and I didn't have any issues with the Smokai going out. It puffed away happily for a couple of hours.

The smoke isn't as intense as it is when using wood chips so I left the cheese in a bit longer. It's now vac sealed and in the fridge to mellow for a few days but it did smell great.

Next up is some salmon, which I'll smoke and then cook in a couple of days.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The sound on the video is the rain on the roof. It's bloody cold here.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Hey Gumb

How long did you smoke the cheese for ?

And salmon it wasnt cured ?so assume you just smoked to put a little bit of smoke flavour in it ?:shrug:

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Official Post

Salmon was raw and yes, I'm just putting some smoke flavour in to it but I think I might have over done it though.

The time for cheese depends on what you are using for fuel and how strong you want the flavour to be but generally I find about about 45 minutes is good. It's important to then wrap it up and let it mellow for at least a few days and vac seal if possible.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Official Post

We cooked the smoked salmon last night and rather than it being over smoked as I suspected, it was perfect. I cooked it in the Cobb over some charcoal so that didn't add any extra.

This is the salmon after it came out of the fridge and vac seal bag.

They were almost 200g each so we cut the fillets down a bit and will cook the rest in a broth.

And after 30 minutes in the Cobb.

Very juicy too.

• What flavour smoke did you use on the fish.

I have a Aldi copy of the Hark cabinet and cold smoke my cheese for one hour. I then vacuum pack for minimum three weeks stored in the fridge. Air it for a day to lose the heavy Smell and always keep it in a sealed container. Bloody nice with a good red. Cheers

• Official Post

I just used the Lumberjack pellets I have here for the pellet grill. Nothing extra.

• I've currently got this side of salmon in the kamado with the aussie smoke bloke providing the smoke. Started curing on Saturday, washed and sat uncovered in the fridge on Monday.

I'm using red gum chips for smoke

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• Kookabanus hey mate like the look of the salmon :thumbup:

Can I ask the cure recipe you use ? How long cured for ?

AndAlso how long in the cold smoke for ?

I’ve read a few articles that say cure for any where between 1 hr and 24hrs ??? Mguess it depends on salt /

:shrug::shrug:

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• I used this recipe from Charcuterie. I had to do 2.5x as my salmon was much larger. I also omitted the pink salt as I didn't think it was necessary.

I cured for 36 hours and smoked for 1.5. It's currently wrapped and mellowing in the fridge so I'll have a taste in the next day or so.

The cure smelled great so hopefully it comes up nice!

• Id like to know how ' smokey' it is when you try- you smoked for 1.5Hr? it mentions 6 hr in the recipe.

Never enough BBQ

• I tried the salmon after a couple of days of it resting in the fridge and it's come up really well. I'm glad I didn't smoke it any longer, it's got plenty of smoke flavour for my taste.

I think the 6 hour cold smoke is for a smoldering tube rather than air pump driven units like mine or the smokai which put out a lot of smoke in a short time.

• Awesome, :clap:

Thanks mate will have to try one myself .

Never enough BBQ

• Tried this recipe again tonight salmon pieces sitting in dry rub - 36 hours to wait before the cold smoker gets a run again.

Last time I did it it was a hit with everyone so hears hoping same results.

Never enough BBQ

• 20 mins to go .

Never enough BBQ

• Since it's cold outside I decided it was time for some more smoked cheese. I used the wood pellets but I can't keep the Smokai lit with them for more than about 20 minutes. I wanted to smoke the cheese for just under an hour so a couple of hits with the small blow torch along the way got the pellets going again for a while and that was all I needed.

The cheese is now in a vac seal pack in the fridge for a few days to mellow out a bit.

• Mmmm I must do this again

Never enough BBQ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!