Sous Vide Brisket Flat

• So ideas needed please from the learned folk in here.

I have half a brisket left over from a previous cook. It's the flat end and has been vac sealed and frozen but now thawed out and ready to cook. I'm thinking sous vide and from what I can see online, it would be 24 hours at about 155f.

Any comments or suggestions ?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• That's the timing and temp I did when I tried it a while ago, the post is around somewhere...

I've also got half a brisket flat in the freezer, maybe I should do this again soon also :/

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• I've been planning one of these for quite some time now, just haven't got around too it. I was looking at 135f for 40+ hours. From memory there is a similar recipe on the Anova site.

I am also planning a 50 hour short rib at 55 degrees.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I have done several briskets including a 6kg Cape Grim with the following method and have always had good results:

24 hours in the sous vide at 155 Fahrenheit, take out of the bag and pat dry with plenty of paper towel, apply a generous coating of S & P, set the Davey Crockett at 250 Fahrenheit and smoke for 3 hours. Take off , wrap in brown craft paper from officeworks, then wrap in an old towel in an old cheap esky for at least two hours before slicing up for dinner.

I am always busy during the weekend and this method allows me to enjoy a fantastic piece of meat without stuffing it up!

• So I cooked it sous vide 2 days ago for about 30 hours at 68c. There was a heap of liquid in the bag so I drained it off, patted the meat dry and dusted it with some Oakridge Santa Maria seasoning. It went back in the fridge after cooling for 2 days.

I pulled it out this afternoon, heated it uncovered in the GMG pellet grill for 2.5 hours and foiled it to rest for an hour. I put a smoking tube in the GMG with some Lumberjack pellets as well, just to add a smokey flavour, which they certainly did.

Served with chips and slaw and it was very tender. Maybe not as juicy as I'd like and I forgot to use the liquid I'd drained off as a base for a glaze so just used a bottle of BBQ sauce. Anyway, it was great to eat, very tasty and sliced easily.

Definitely worth doing again.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I've got 1.8kg of point in the sous vide overnight tonight, planning on putting it in the smoker Sunday arvo.

I'm hoping this one goes well as it's a better piece of meat than my last attempt which turned out well.

Looks good Gumb, even got a smoke ring on it! :clap:

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• Do you think you'll try a medium rare brisket?

I think so, perhaps lower water temp and cook for longer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!