Photography - General

• Photography is such a vast subject, either as just a hobby, interest or even professional.

It was suggested by Gumb that a separate thread be made up to discuss general photography and was thinking it'd be a great idea and it would give those of us a platform to discuss about equipment and other Photo related topics rather than clog up the Hobby topic.

Maybe make this a sticky somewhere for easy access8)

:w

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Good idea!

It's one hobby I wish I would of got into 20 odd years earlier, bought my first camera (cheapo film point&pray thing...as in pray the AF and metering was somewhat accurate) sometime back in 1997 in the leadup to a Bosnia deployment with SFOR.
    Got an album of near 500 mostly crap photos out of my 7 month stay, oh so wish I would of known what I was doing back then!

Retired that old thing sometime after moving downunder in 2001 for a Kodac 5Mp digital bridge camera. Likely sometime around 2009-2010 I went DSLR with a Sony A350, pretty much locking me into the Minolta/Sony A-mount that now mostly is dead. Nothing new has been released for 4 odd years so the next "upgrade" will be a costly one!

As for pics...here's my ongoing addiction since 2015, Azure Kingfishers. Literally have thousands of shots and can never go past an opportunity for more! :dunno:

DSC05167_1 by Johan Olsson, on Flickr

Though in the family I'm also known to be almost a magnet for snakes, during the warm months I can barely go anywhere without running into them. CFO hates it when I come home from a walk with some up close shots of the "dangerous" end.

DSC02834 by Johan Olsson, on Flickr

• Gumb September 12, 2020 at 6:45 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Photograph - General” to “Photography - General”.
  • As I say I need to get back into it. These were shot on the Olympus.

Brooklyn bridge looking back towards the city from Dumbo.

Lighthouse in Chicago on the lake.

The vessel in New York

Pretty much after that the camera died (Warranty Job upon my return home) and it was a dead weight for 6 weeks.

Mind you I did get some amazing shots from the iPhone as well.

Seperate post below shot

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I was more referring to the quality of the picture not the actual shot.

If you look at that second photo on th iPhone the quality is lacking and it's a photo I would have gotten blown up and framed.

Ah well will have to go back again and get a better shot. :D

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Yes me too Snowfella, apart from the Instamatics (remember those) of yesteryear, I've always had an interest in photography but with being a shiftworker most my life, never had a chance to fully immerse myself into it.

My fist dabble into SLR cameras was in 1982 when during a trip to Fiji with a mate, and duty free was a huge saving, I bought myself a Pentax K1000, then a Minolta 7000 about 10 years later. It's only now that I've got into a DSLR and there's a lot to learn but from what I've taken so far with the Nikon D5600, it's got so much detail, far more superior than anything i've ever used before.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Davo, somehow we have to get you used to inserting your pics in to the post :P

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I fixed it. Just put the cursor where you want the photo to go and insert as a full pic or a thumbnail.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• They are really nice pics Jimmyboy, hard to believe they were taken with a phone camera, in fact phone cameras have become so advanced over the past few years it's any wonder why one would buy an SLR only that you'd get more detail out of a dedicated camera. The Iphones and Android phones are promoting lots of magapixels and multiple lenses these days but it's not just the megapixels that can make a good image (apart from the user that is) but the sensors are still very small in phones and I feel they do miss out in detail. Although on saying that, my old Samsung S7 phone can capture great detail up close when I'm taking pics at the BBQ but for distance it falls very short in detail. Phone cameras are good for scouting for good scenery though so you can take a proper camera there a bit later or for pre-shots before bringing the big Kahuna out of the bag. I can easily transfer pics from the Nikon to my Samsung via Snapbridge apps but it does take it's toll on SD Cards.

Davo

• Yes your right about the detail.

If you look at the second photo (zoom in on it) you can see the iPhone is at its limits. It just sort of blend s the detailed bits together. I am sure there is a professional term for that ?

The Olympus comes with a similar app to transfer pics to your phone or tablet etc... as well as a editing app for cropping etc...

Bbq photos for me are just IPhone and yes phones are great for upclose pics.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Mp really means next to nothing though, all it does is limit how large a print you can make at a decent DPI setting, though that also depends on intended viewing distance.

I've got a few prints on the walls at home and 2 really stands out, one from the oldest stepson's wedding out of an old 5Mp camera and one from the youngest stepsons wedding out of a 24Mp APS-C camera. Printed the same size on canvas and hanging side by side....from a meter away I can't tell any difference in sharpness.

Plus any distant shot across open water/ground or even air can be iffy, even a tiny bit of rising heat can kill fine details.

• Yep, megapixels nowadays are mainly a marketing gimmick.

My phone has more megapixels than my now 10-year old entry level DSLR but when taking photos at events for work the two don't really compare. The photos on my camera have regularly been used in our print edition, yet when I've been caught without my camera the phone photos rarely make the grade for print.

• There's no doubt that the Picture taking ability of the modern Phone has become so good but only as good as really social media will allow it. The fact remains that their sensors are tiny by Camera standards. I'm not a real technical person however it's when you open up a RAW file it's when the difference becomes very apparent. I began taking some RAW and JPEG files side by side and when I opened up a RAW file, I was astounded at how much detail was in the Image.

On saying that, Phones can be very useful for easy Instagram and composition framing before bringing the big gun out.

• What I tend to find with newer gear is how much better it handles higher ISO and dynamic range, got 4 different era Sony's in the house right now and there's just no way I could "abuse" the older gear like I do with the new camera.

ISO 1250 was about as far as I could to push the last 24Mp APS-C camera and still keep detail, with the new full frame gear I can push it to 6400 and still get decent detail out of it.

And I can recover highlight and shadows so much better than what I could with the old gear.

My harddrive is hating it though as the file size has near doubled in size even if I shoot compressed RAW files. :shrug:

• What I tend to find with newer gear is how much better it handles higher ISO and dynamic range,

This is part of the reason I'm leaning towards a body update. My D3100 with its older sensor and firmware tends to lose a fair bit of detail as I start bumping up the iso which is something I'm forced to do at work shooting in a dim conference room with no flash.

Although I've also cooled on my urge to race out and upgrade. I was looking a new DX camera and was hunting for a release date for upgrades to either the D5600 or D7500 as both are overdue but it seems Nikon is being coy on them and is all about its mirrorless range at the moment.

If I was to go mirrorless though I'd have to reassess which brand I'd look at, which is also holding me back from investing in new glass :D

• If there's one thing I've had to understand comparing it with the old film days was this thing Called ISO....now with film the standard was from say Kodak 64/100/200/400/800 and most other film like Fujifilm was pretty much the same, but when I got this Nikon 5600 and found that ISO went up to 25K and I go WTF!! What does all that mean now? How on earth can the ISO go up that high without grain the size of rice. I'm still trying to get my head around it...but try not to worry too much as I usually use Aperture priority. As for the Modern phone, I only have a Samsung S7 which is a 4 yr old model now but when i check the photo details, I find that many of the photos are something like f1.7 which is pretty fast glass but would explain why modern phones handle darker conditions.

• the ISO ratings on modern cameras relates to the sensors sensitivity to light as far as I'm aware. Newer cameras have better sensors and also modern cameras are getting better at noise reduction via their own firmware.

I try to keep the ISO as low as possible for crisper images but in many instances i have to boost my iso to maintain the correct shutter speed and aperture for my shot. Grain becomes a lot more noticeable if you attempt to fix your exposure in post or when cropping images shot at a higher ISO

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!