General question

• Ultra newbie here, not sure where to post this but when you are bringing your offset up to temps when do you close the vents?

Say I'm cooking at 225f do I close my vents at 225f or a bit before it? Or do I let it go over the temps and shut the vents then?

Also, how do you not overshoot your temperatures when you cook?

Thanks

P. S I've never smoked on an offset before, I'm still waiting on mine to arrive :)

EDIT: Haha I forgot to mention Davo sent me :)

• When using mine i aim for a zone temp, somewhere between 235-275. Once its within that range i'll close the vent and chimney damper to where it will sit within that range until the fire starts to burn down. When i notice the temp dropping i'll add another log and so long as it stays in that range im happy.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• I Agree with Steman , except I don’t really close the chimney damper , always half open at least IMO.

Which off set did you go for ?

Never enough BBQ
    5 Burner beefmaster, Webber Q, Flaming coals Spit , Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Webber Kettle

Jumbuck pizza oven, Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit.

• I'm with Steman, I never shoot for an exact temp on the offset. As long as it's sitting somewhere between 225f and 275f I'm generally pretty happy. I tend to leave the chimney fully open and just adjust the vents on the firebox and keep a small hot fire burning, this tends to give me pretty clean blue smoke for the whole cook.

Generally once I'm up around 250f I might start looking to close the vents down a bit. The offset is pretty responsive to vent movements so even if you overshoot it won't take too long to come back down to temp. Overshooting is more of a problem on something like a kamado style cooker, which will hold temp rocksteady for hours on end but if you overshoot it's a fight to bring the temps back down quickly.

• Personally with my offset its chimney fully open and door partially, then use fire management to float around the temp zone i'm aiming for. I'll set a recurring timer on my watch for every 20-30 mins and wander outside check the temps and either add a piece of wood if a little low or leave it another 20 and check again. I gave up pretty quickly with the offset trying to hold an exact temp.

• BBQbushy I bought the Hark Chubby offset.

So if I'm aiming for 225-250 I close my vents down around 225?

There is yes and No answer for you mate , just have to play around with it.

It all depends on how hot your fire is burning, the quality of the timber and coal bed.

rangabbq is spot on.

Never enough BBQ
    5 Burner beefmaster, Webber Q, Flaming coals Spit , Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Webber Kettle

• I’m sure you gonna enjoy it !!!

Just remember to post pics 😜

Never enough BBQ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!