My New Curing Chamber

• Decided to convert one of my fridges into a dedicated curing chamber. This will hopefully give me a more consistent product as well as allowing me to cure throughout the year.

Quite simple to do requiring just a few items like a temp and humidity controller (bought Inkbird products for this) as well as a humidifier (and an optional dehumidifier).

First things first was to give this old girl a thorough clean and sterilize as it had been used as a drinks fridge in its previous life and had its fair share of spills over the years creating some funky organisms inside the compressor unit.

• That is going to be a very cool setup, will be great with the glass doors. Following this thread.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I'd love to do something like this sometime, when I have the space. It will look great with a few chubs hanging in there!

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• New fans installed and deep clean completed.

Everything's working as it should however i'm noticing a bit of overshoot with the humidity levels and the dehumidifiers perhaps a bit small to bring it down quickly (the fridge kicking in actually drops the humidity incredibly fast). So all in all it working but the swings are a bit better than i'd like so more work/experimentation to be done.

Dehumidifier

Humidifier

Controller

• Made up a small batch of salami which is currently fermenting in the new chamber for approx 36 hours (or until the PH drops below 5.2) before lowing the temp for the final cure. Moved the humidifier higher which I think works better providing a more even result. Id aldo still like to install a small fan which operates 24/7 rather than the fridge fan which now only operates whenever the temp is raised above target.

• Made a batch of summer sausage a few days ago which has been fermenting for the last 48 hours before going into the new curing chamber. This was made using a 70/30 mix of pork neck and beef brisket point and is my first crack at making this product. After some curing time it will be smoked to temp and there put back into the curing chamber for another few weeks. You can also see the Mould 600 growth progress on the salami on the LHS in the last pic.

• That looks absolutely Delish!!!:bbq:

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Jumbuck pizza oven, 5 Burner beefmaster

• They look amazing and the chamber conversion seems brilliant. I gather just by the perfect look of the product that you have been curing for some time?

~ Kamado Joe ~ Weber Smokey Joe ~ Weber Baby Q ~

• They look great, I'd love to try them.

Now, your mission should you choose to accept it, give lamb mince a go. Or even goat if you can get it, otherwise kanga, but you'd probably have to add fat from another animal.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• They look amazing and the chamber conversion seems brilliant. I gather just by the perfect look of the product that you have been curing for some time?

Thanks. Been curing various products for around 5 years now and for me was the natural progression from dry aging beef. It really aint that hard to do and can essentially be done just using the correct amount of salt (and sometimes acid like wine etc.)

Ive made it more complicated as I wanted to have total environmental control rather than relying on the temp and humidity of the basement/garage etc. so I can make it all year round.

• How big is bed ? I could handle some that salami ??

As long as I don’t have to fight your dog for some =O

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Jumbuck pizza oven, 5 Burner beefmaster

• DevilsGrill hey mate how’s the curing chamber going ? Are you happy with the InkBird controllers?

I’d love to have a set up like this and have been thinking of getting a curing chamber up and running ..

Never enough BBQ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!