Crackling roasts on the kamado

• Hey gents

I was mucking around with a roast pigs leg the other day on the kamado trying to get that perfect crackling.

Taking temps up to 400-500DF in the thing, cooking with the deflector plate creates a TONNE of smoke from the drippings

I was reluctant to put a pan underneath with water because of the steam it would create and affecting the crackling.

After all said and done, it turned out okay but I can't help feel that the kamado cannot do as good of a crackling roast as say a Weber kettle with charcoal baskets.

Anyone else have a similar feeling about this?

• The Komado is definitely a moister cooking environment, less airflow etc. Given moisture is the enemy of crackle it's not great for getting crackle.

Yeah weber can be better, don't think many here will disagree in this circumstance, but if you take the time to dry the skin, some great crackle can be had. I've never used a water pan in a komado, but I've very often used a pan to catch the drippings, this will stop the flare ups but also give you the opportunity to make Smokey gravy, which is seriously so yummy.

I think most will agree with you, kettle is drier, so can get easier crackle.

My only statement in this whole conversation is.... crackle is seriously yum.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I was sure I was going to be able to say that look Marvelous...but...I agree with you on the steam!

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

• Wazza is spot on, the kamado holds the moisture better which is why they are so good. The kettle is a drier environment,

Try scoring the skin in thin strips, I find butchers don't do it enough. Pour boiling water over it, pat dry and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. Very lightly oil and then add the salt which you rub well in to the skin.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - GMG Davy Crockett - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• I disagree. I get great results from my Akorn Kamado and also use a tray with some sort of liquid. In this case Beer.

Schweinshaxe

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• I get great crackle in the kamado but that's using the joetisserie, so that doesn't really help. I guess it shows it's very possible but the direct heat makes all the difference.

Also definitely put something on the deflector plates to catch the drippings. Nothing is worse than a fat soaked deflector stone!

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• I do Pork belly in the Primo. I finish off the crackle either under the grill, or use the Looft lighter, on full blast. Gives a great finish to the crackle.

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbsup:

• I disagree. I get great results from my Akorn Kamado and also use a tray with some sort of liquid. In this case Beer.

Schweinshaxe

Nobody is saying you can't get crackle in a kamado, but it certainly needs more thought put in to it because it retains more moisture than a steel kettle.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - GMG Davy Crockett - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• I also disagree, Catch the drippings. You dont want that much pork fat hitting the deflector at high heat.

Heat wise 220C will get it done and not create smoke from the drip pan.

Its very doable and once you nail it you will know how to forever :thumbup:

• Maybe having the meat on the extension rack like Geoffo has above, would get more heat coming off the top of the dome and onto the skin?

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• Normally you start high 220c then later drop the temperature. With a Kamado you do the opposite. Cook at the lower temp and at the end open the vents wide open and get it up to 220C and crackle away.

• I did one for the Christmas.

-Slow roasted the pork at 140 C first .

-Removed the heat deflector and Cranked the Kamado to close to 250 - 275 C

-Put the skin side down on the grill for 30 - 45 seconds while gently rotating the sides.

worked out nicely for me.

Char-griller Ceramic Kamado, Ziggy twin grill

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!