Weberdoori Chicken Tikka/ Masala

• Thought I'd share my weekend cook with you all, can't really call it Tandoori Chicken without a Tandoor but the Weber kettle does the job just fine.

I'll give a brief rundown of my process but am happy to elaborate if needed.

First I start with diced chicken breast, could be thighs too and it gets a brief marinade in lemon juice, garlic and ginger paste and salt. Red food colouring is optional at this point if wanted.

I only leave it while I mix up the main marinade which is a mix of Greek yogurt, a list of ground spices and masalas as long as your arm and a couple of chopped chillies. Then add the chicken to the yogurt mix and whack it in the fridge.

You can leave it for a couple of hours or up to 48, I'm impatient so overnight is good enough for me.

When ready to cook thread onto skewers.

Then cook on the Weber over charcoal until ready.

Now you have perfect Weberdoori Chicken Tikka ready to be served with whatever tickles your fancy.

What I like about this is you get two dishes out of them as I went on to add pieces of these to create a Chicken Tikka Masala curry which was my best one yet.

Often tandoori chicken is used as the basis for many chicken curries and it does make a huge difference imo.

The final product.

Of course you can do this over gas or in an oven but over the coals is as close to a Tandoor as you'll find.

Anyway, thanks for looking.:cheers:

Weber Kettle - Royal Foods grill

• OK so this is exactly what I did... the red writing is my notes or opinions.

Tando Weberdoori Chicken Tikka

• To start dice 1kg of Chicken breast or thigh and place in a large bowl.
    • Squeeze the juice of two lemons over the pieces. Lime juice will do the trick also.
    • Add 3 tablespoons of garlic and ginger paste. I made my own, just a little oil and salt with fresh garlic and ginger blended to a paste. I have used store bought jars before too and they are fine to use.
    • Salt for seasoning.
    • Half a teaspoon of red food colouring powder. This is totally optional, it adds nothing to the flavour just the appearance.
    • Place to one side while you make the main marinade.

For the main marinade.

• 1 cup of greek yoghurt. I used small 2 tubs of yoghurt, might be a bit more or less than the recipe but it´ll do.
    • 1 tbsp of ground cumin
    • 1 tbsp of ground coriander
    • 1 tbsp of garam masala. This and the tandoori masala powder should both be readily available although I have no idea what Aussie supermarkets are like these days but certainly you would find good masalas from an Indian, Asian or Online shop. While the normal jars would likely do I find the stuff in plastic bags to be superior. These can be made from scratch too but I have so far only used the store brought bags. I do have recipes and will happily share.
    • 1 tblsp of tandoori masala.
    • 1 tbsp of black pepper powder
    • 1 tsp of ground tumeric
    • 1 tsp of paprika or chilli powder
    • 1 tsp of amchoor, dried mango powder. Odd stuff this, it stinks a bit and you could probably leave it out but we have some so might as well use it.
    • 1 tsp of salt

I imagine it is fine to leave any ingredients out you may not have or do not like because as long as you have a solid base of spice it will be very good.

At this point add all the chicken with garlic and lemon into the yoghurt marinade and mix together. Put it in the fridge for anything from 2 to 48 hours. The one above was in for a little over 24 hours and although I´ve left it for 2 or 6 hours before from now on I will always leave it overninight.

The recipe also calls for 20grams of coriander leaves and 3 tbsps of fine grated parmasen cheese to go in the marinade but as we did not have either I left them out and honestly not sure I´d bother with them but feel free to try.

From here on it´s simple, before you cook soak your skewers if they are wooden and thread the chicken pieces onto them and then cook over hot coals to your desired level of charredness. I used the Weber Kettle but whatever really should do.

It makes a perfect Tandoori starter or could be served with a wedge of lemon and some chips. I imagine it would elevate wraps or tacos to the next level, might have to try that too. And as mentioned it really makes a curry stand out if you use this as the base meat, basically cook the sauce up and add the tikka towards the end.

I have also used the above recipe for roasting whole chickens in the weber, chicken quarters, lamb pieces or whole lamb or basically any type of meat you want it is always great and gets a thumbs up from the family.

I can add the curry breakdown too if interested, it was good.

• That is a great write up, thanks for taking the time. I'm sure some in here will follow that and hopefully post their results too.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I imagine it would elevate wraps or tacos to the next level

When I worked in an Indian restaurant the chef would regularly make me chicken tikka wraps for dinner, although he would use either a chapati or a naan bread as the wrap as we had plenty on hand in the kitchen. I preferred it with the naan, but it was more like a tikka kebab due to the thickness.

Would just add some salad and a mint raita, was awesome.

• That is a great write up, thanks for taking the time. I'm sure some in here will follow that and hopefully post their results too.

Cheers, it´s too good not to share.

Hopefully others will enjoy them as much as we do.

When I worked in an Indian restaurant the chef would regularly make me chicken tikka wraps for dinner, although he would use either a chapati or a naan bread as the wrap as we had plenty on hand in the kitchen. I preferred it with the naan, but it was more like a tikka kebab due to the thickness.

Would just add some salad and a mint raita, was awesome.

That sounds alright to me, I´d prefer naan too. Plenty of ideas there, I think tikka is the gift that keeps on giving.

• That curry looks amazing mate, good job. Would be interested in you sharing the recipe.

Regards

Matt

For the Masala?

Incoming.

• 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil I use oil mainly
    • 4 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
    • 1 tablespoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon turmeric
    • 1 tablespoon coriander powder
    • 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves I didn´t have any so didn´t use
    • 2 tablespoons garam masala
    • 1 tablespoon paprika
    • 2 tablespoons tomato paste

Once you have the oil hot enough stir in all the dry spices above for about 30 seconds to release their flavour in the pan and then add the tomato, garlic and ginger paste. Stir for another 30 seconds or so, try not to burn everything.

After those 30 seconds add the base sauce and bring to a simmer.

• 800g Tandoori chicken tikka

Once simmering add your chicken tikka, the 1kg from the first recipe once cooked is the perfect quantity.

• 1 tablespoon sugar (more or less to taste)
    • 250ml double cream
    • 1 tablespoon red food colouring powder (optional)

Simmer for a minute and add most of your cream, sugar and colouring if using.

• 2 tablespoons butter

Simmer a further minute to mix through and add your butter.

Garnish with the ingredients below and a swirl of cream and enjoy!

• 1 small bunch fresh chopped coriander I totally forgot to add any of these last 3 ingredients to mine, pretty sure it´s not necessary.
    • Salt and pepper to taste
    • Juice of one lemon

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!