• Let's talk Vacuum sealers. I am on the second ebay special in about 8 years and the only problem I had with the first one was that it broke the hold down clips when closed. Top stop that, I now press down on the lid before releasing the clips and that eases the pressure on the clip. I preferred the old one which had a storage compartment for the rolls and a cutter built in. To make it seal properly, I pat the meat down well with a paper towel and sometimes add a strip of the towel inside the bag to catch any extracted juices before they reach the seal.

These things are so handy I'll just buy another when this one dies but if there are better machines out there, I'd be happy to pay more. I have seen some at a recent caravan show which they claimed could seal the bag even if it was moist inside but didn't hang around for a look.

Any ideas or recommendations we can add here would be handy for others who may be considering a vac sealer.

here's mine. I think it was around $60

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I bought this gees well over 18 months ago. Gets used every big cook depending on work from 3 times a week to 3 times per month. 55$ from eBay. I've gone through 6 rolls of bags and not had a issue yet. If it does die I'll just get another. More than paid for itself in saved food.

• Perfect timing for me Gumb. This will be my first one, but have used others and I really want the flexibility to do Sous Vide when I want on not having to rely on getting butcher to do it.

So was about to buy one, when I checked the Qantas store and a couple have appeared that were not there a few weeks ago when I looked.

Sunbeam VS4300

17 440 Qantas points

A compact in size and easy to use vacuum packaging system, ideal for keeping on bench-tops
    Features

• Commercial Quality Vacuum- Using a patented vacuum packaging system, the FoodSaver® removes air from specially designed bags, to create a commercial quality vacuum
    • Easy 3-Step Operation- Simply fill bag. Open lid and position open-end of bag. Close lid holding down corners, to activate vacuum and sealing process
    • Included accessories 1 x 28cm roll, 5 x pre-cut bags, 1 x bottle stopper, 1 x accessory hose
    • Commercial quality vacuum seal
    • Patented removable drip tray
    • Press & hold operation
    • Progress lights
    • Cord storage
    • Suitable for use with all FoodSaver bags, rolls and accessories

Sunbeam VS7800

42 840 Qantas points

Innovative features, stylish stainless steel design and inbuilt roll storage. Keep food fresher for up to 5 times longer than conventional storage methods with this stylish FoodSaver®. With one touch operation, stainless steel design, crush-free technology, pulse and adjustable settings; the VS7800 FoodSaver® is the premium of the range.
    Features

• Included accessories: 1 x 28cm roll, 5 x pre-cut bags, 1 x bottle stopper, 1 x accessory hose
    • On-board roll storage
    • On-board roll cutter
    • Commercial quality vacuum seal
    • Patented removable drip tray
    • One touch operation
    • Pulse function
    • Dry/Moist adjustable food settings
    • Side handle safety locking arm
    • Vertical storage
    • Stainless steel finish
    • Cord storage
    • Progress lights
    • Suitable for use with all FoodSaver bags, rolls and accessories

Anyone know anything about them?

The more expensive one has this:

• Dry/Moist adjustable food setting

Not sure what it is but am wondering if I need it. Especially for Sous Vide if I was to confit something in olive oil.

Thoughts?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I don't know if you can trade Qantas points for credit to your Visa card etc but that's what I'd be doing, and then look around for a comparable machine. I've been bitten before using points to buy goodies. Now I go for vouchers, usually Bunnings. :)

I looked at the Sunbeam sealers in Myers and really found it hard to justify the extra cost. They were over $200 at the time so 3 times the ebay version.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I've used points for a twin burner ziggy and a NG family Q, various cookbooks, electronic scales. So have had a good run with them.

The points for me are free simply for using my cc.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I'm with that! The more you pay, the more suck you get!

• Sucks all the air out. Very small amount of oxygen so food lasts longer. You could lower your freezer bag into water to force air out before sealing, but it's a pain, this is so convenient.

• Many, back in the day on fishing trips we paid to vac seal our meat for longevity. As an example vac sealed beef is good for 30+ days in a fridge. You wouldn't treat pork or chicken that way though. Takes up less space, can be reheated in hot water without going soggy. In general meats last a lot longer vac sealed.

• Was doing a bit of reading on these and came across a post in Whirlpool forum. I don't know this guy, have no idea how credible this is but it sounds good. Thought I'd share anyway. It made the decision for me. Of the two sunbeam models only the more expensive one will do a stand alone seal. This is very handy for other stuff you have in the pantry. Lets say you have a bag of something, you have to cut it to pour out some of the product. Now what do you do, fold the bag over and hope the moths don't get in. Or you take it to your sealer, put the bag on the seal strip, hit seal and you product is now sealed again waiting for next time you want to use it - moth free.

• Sunbeam VS7800 – comparatively expensive at $250 or so. All the bells and whistles, including internal roll storage and trimmer. It's fairly large, but rotates to vertical for bench storage. Strong suction. Manual or automatic modes. It's also the quietest model I've used. Very highly recommended.
    • Sunbeam VS4300 – one of the cheapest models you'll find in mainstream stores ($129), and it's a load of junk. I can't begin to describe how bad. It's very noisy. You get no say in how much vacuum pressure it'll apply before it seals. It doesn't even have a seal-only option, forcing you to suffer the noisy pump twice for every pouch. And it looks ugly, though it is also small.
    • Aquaport ALI-VAC1 – I might have gotten a faulty copy, but it always insisted upon sealing the bag way too early. It's also noisy, plasticy, ugly, expensive ($169) and generally not very good.
    • ALDI Kuchef (2014) / Lumina (2015) – exceptionally cheap at $70, but it's actually fairly good. I'll start with the fact that it works. It has two suction speeds and two pressure grades. It's reasonably quiet. It's a small unit, plus it's the only one I've used with power cord storage, making it particularly convenient to store away. My only gripe is the spill tray has a matte finish and isn't removable, which isn't ideal.

All four products include a single wine bottle saver kit

• So for someone who has wondered why he doesn't have one, but has no idea why he would need one, what is the benefit of vacuum sealed over freezer bags.
    Honest question

Put simply you don't have to freeze it to have it kept fresh longer.
    Great for things like bacon when I buy 6 slices and only want 2 each sunday with my eggs. I just vac seal the remainder and leave it in the fridge. Open the bag next week, take out 2 more and resal again.

• Cool and all but most will do a stand alone seal. The bags come in rolls and you seal both ends. My cheapie does stand alone seal
    by the looks Gumb's does too

Yeah, I've never heard of a sealer that does not do stand alone sealing before. I'm also limited to the two Sunbeams as I have a heap of Qantas points and it won't cost me a cent. I've not managed to find someone on the net yet whinging about the more expensive Sunbeam, so I've ordered it. Delivery expected 24/12.

• I bought this gees well over 18 months ago. Gets used every big cook depending on work from 3 times a week to 3 times per month. 55$ from eBay. I've gone through 6 rolls of bags and not had a issue yet. If it does die I'll just get another. More than paid for itself in saved food.

I have been looking for a vacuum sealer for a while now, and the two standout models are the Sunbeam and one that Kiwiman stewie posted a while ago http://foodvacuumsealers.com.au/unika-by-munro/ both these units are top of the range and come with top of the range pricing, at around the $250 mark wich for me at the moment would be bit much leading into Christmas,And was happy to read how happy muppet is with his, so for under $100 bucks for the unit and 6 rolls of bags I have exactly the same as muppet has, delivered in 2 days and am amazed at how well it works thanks muppet :thumbup::thumbup:

ProQ Excel Elite2o<---> Weber Kettle<---> AKORN KAMADO<--->  WEBER GO ANYWHERE

• Sunbeam VS7800

Hey Wazza, I upgraded from an eBay special to the Sunbeam VS7800 about 12 months ago, the clips busted off the ebay one but it still worked.

I love my sunbeam one. It has some great features that won me over compared to the cheaper ones. The different suction settings can be handy at times (Wet, Dry, Normal), and the manual mode gets a flogging. It has more than enough suck to get the job done, and a big fan of the internal roll storage. One of the best parts is the removable drip tray bit, it prevents moisture getting sucked anywhere it shouldn't be, and makes clean up a breeze. Would happily recommend to others. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Yoder YS480 | Weber Kettle | "Golden Moth" UDS | Weber Go Anywhere

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!