Slow cooked roast lamb shanks

• ok so mostly I'm posting this up because I watched Gumb video on how to post pics and thought I'd try it out. But let me say that I looooooove the humble lamb shank. These mighty meaty ex-sheep holder uppers were done in smoke over a bath of garlic / onion / rosemary and water for about 4 hours. Then dunked into said bath (topped up with red wine) and braised for another 2 hours. Rested for an hour and then served and shared (as usual on the weekends around here) with the neighbours. The broth was reserved, oil skimmed off the top, chilli and tomato paste added and reduced on the stovetop to making a cracking sauce. So simple, so damn good! Sigh.

Shanks piled over bath with both deflectors in for low and slow

After 4 hours nekked; put on to braise until done.

~ Kamado Joe ~ Weber Smokey Joe ~ Weber Baby Q ~

• If you click on the 'full image' tab when uploading, the pics will be put into the post larger, and I think these shanks need a larger pic.... yum :yum)

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Nice job on the cook and the pics too :thumbup:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• It's interesting I was reading something the other day on the Primo FB group and they were saying that USA Lamb is not great as compared to Aussie & NZ Lamb.

Said the flavour was bland so maybe they just don't get the quality Lamb that we do.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I read something that Jess Pryles wrote about lamb in the USA, she said it was bland as most Americans didn’t like the gaminess of imported Aus and NZ lamb.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• The last time I bought Lamb it was a product of Australia. I am sure we have lamb producers, but I would venture to guess they are regional and not national like beef, pork and poultry. An I was never a big fan of Lamb due to that "gaminess". The 1st time I had Lamb that did not seem to have that flavor was a restaurant called El Nido in Rosarito, Mexico, the restaurant had its own ranch. They were lamb chops and they were very good. But something like osso buco, with the rich flavors and the long cooking usually mellow out any meat.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• I've done sheep osso bucco before. When we've been cutting up mutton up the farm, I've previously run the shanks side ways through the band saw to give that cut. Made a spectacular mutton goulash.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!