What have you BBQ'd that was Pre Marinated, Rubbed, Brined, Flavoured etc and how did it turn out?

• We've all done it............... here' s somewhere to tell us of your wins and fails.

What - Grabbed some chickenwings on a whim from Aldi. I thought I'd give a couple of their prepared ones a go to see what they were like. I tried the crispy coated wings and some that had been in a Soy and Honey marinade. Both were around the $7 mark. The Soy ones were for a kilo. The crumbed were for 5 that were 550g.

BBQing - I gave them a bit of time on the Akorn Kamado at 200c. They cooked alright and the coated ones came out reasonably crunchy.

Taste - Tastewise the Honey Soy were pretty bland. Couldnt really taste the Honey/Soy. The coated ones were much better but nothing to write home about. For me they had a slightly odd taste but being a bigger wing were a lot juicier. Neither were awful.

Would I buy again? - No

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• Got some Coles marinated kanga steaks. The marinade was actually pretty good. One bit was tender like I'd expect, the other really tough.

Took me a little while to work out why. It had been cut with the grain. This is a hard one as it can be hard to tell the way they package the meat. Would I try again, probably yes as the one butchered the correct way was great, however if I got another dud bit of butchering, then I'd be out.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I do like the Aldi Buffalo marinated wings, Brannans butchery , Not the frozen ones..

Even better with a good dipping of Sweet baby Rays Buffalo sauce...

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Pre-marinated stuff can be handy when it's getting late and you need dinner on the table sheepish... in saying that I've not had any for quite some time I've been impressed with so tend to avoid them now.

In saying that it's probably down to buying them from the supermarket... been tempted to give my local butcher's pre-marinated stuff a go.

• The butterflied and boneless chickens from all the supermarkets are really good cooked over charcoal. A very easy mid week dinner that everyone in our family loves.

We go for the peri peri and Greek versions.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• The butterflied and boneless chickens from all the supermarkets are really good cooked over charcoal. A very easy mid week dinner that everyone in our family loves.

Agreed, was getting a boneless butterflied chook nearly every week at one stage from woolies, some sort of garlic and herb marinade I think

• I've done a butterflied lamb leg from super butcher a few times. got it one day when it was 20% off and quite liked the flavour of it. Wasn't too strong and complimented the lamb flavour nicely. would do again as well

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Coral Trout fillets marinated in a mix of olive oil, crushed garlic and lemon juice then on the gasser's hot plate for a couple of min's with the marinate to oil the plate. Hard to get fresh Coral Trout in Sydney but I used to do it all the time when was in Nth Qld as my dad was a pro fisherman. That aside, my current favorite is Chuck Barbacoa dry rubbed and left in the fridge overnight before going on the WSM all day. Open the fridge in the morning and it smells amazing.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

Edited once, last by matty (October 28, 2020 at 12:56 PM).

• I've done a butterflied lamb leg from super butcher a few times. got it one day when it was 20% off and quite liked the flavour of it. Wasn't too strong and complimented the lamb flavour nicely. would do again as well

Love doing butterfly leg of lamb. :thumbup:Usually have one every couple of weeks, more often in summer. Cover it with it with Emu Rub just before going on the gasser. Awesome stuff.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

Ha I was doing to say that the Coles Greek marinaded chooks come out amazing.

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• Hmmmm batching at home whilst wife is away.

Nip down to Butcher on my way home on a Friday night.

Right let's give this a run.

Was labelled Korean Pork Thingy.

Pork filleted and then spinach, bacon and cream cheese in centre had Korean bbq sauce on it too.

Trying to reverse sear it from DC to Akorn Jr.

Stand by finished photo to follow.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Let’s just say it looks better than it tasted.

The guy said it was collar so I should have simply smoked it not reverse seared.

Texture was wrong but flavour combination was OK. Small amount of BBQ sauce flavor and cream cheese / bacon was alright.

If I did it again I would smoke it to 205f I think.

Live and learn.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Made up a simple Teriyaki Beef Marinade yesterday morning and dropped some cubed CG rump in it for several hours. Made into skewers. Here is a pic of the marinating beef. Smelt great. Pics of final dish over in the November what are you cooking thread if you're interested to see the results.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!