Rub recipe for Turkey buffet or butt needed.

• Doing a test tomorrow afternoon for Christmas with a Turkey butt in the traeger. It has been in brine since midday today. It will be taken out of the brine and left lightly covered in the fridge to dry out the skin a bit. I need help with a good rub to use. Cheers 🍻

• I think that would depend on what type of sauce you're going to serve it with, sweet or savoury. If you're unsure, I would just go with s+p, can't go wrong with that. If you're going with sweet (cranberry for example) incorporate say paprika, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, something to complement that. If savoury, tbh i'd go with vegeta with cracked pepper. If you have it in your area, Gaganis bro's Nostomini is a winner in either case, it's a great spice blend. I've used it on turkey drumsticks with great results (to my taste). Seriously, that stuff is great.

Dragon Kamado - Fornetto Razzo 18" - Akorn Jr - Pro-Smoke Offset

• Nostomini might be harder to find outside of SA. It may be a local thing only. They stock it in Woolies and Foodlands over here so they may be the first place to try. But, if you don't like Greek style flavourings this may not be the thing for you. It's not subtle in any way, so if you do find it, I'd recommend going light with it.

Dragon Kamado - Fornetto Razzo 18" - Akorn Jr - Pro-Smoke Offset

• Turkey butt? Is this a hind quarter, or perhaps a hind half, aka thigh and legs?

Especially around Christmas, I'm a bit traditional. I'd personally smoke as you have planned, but do it on a rack over a tray, you catch the smoked dripping and make a smoked gravy, and season that to taste. Also try smoking some garlic cloves at the same time, once they have broken down enough to be a paste, they add a great element to the gravy.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• It has been in brine since midday today.

My only thoughts here...was this one of those turkey buffs that was pre brined....:/...if so that brining you have done could make it over salty......I once got caught out this way.:shrug:

Z Grill MINI.....Aldi Gasser.......Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• Just interested - what sort of pellets did you use? (about to fire up a Pit Boss for the first time, so keen to get a feel for what people use for different meats.)

Pit Boss Navigator 850, Jackaroo Grange 4-burner gas :bbq:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!