Tip Top Temp Test

• I'll try mine on the kettle and report back.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• My kettle only has the small tab on the top vent so the TTT just sits over it. I think you have the one as in this video, check around the 50sec mark to see how it should fit.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Here's a video of the trial run on the kettle.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I did a low and slow cook on the Big Green Egg today with the TTT in control. It sat locked around my desired temp of about 110c for 2.5 hours while I went out and then it was time to wrap the ribs and foil and increase the temp. I opened the butterfly control a bit and it slowly increased the pit temp. As it did that, the TTT slowly closed again to a similar setting to what I had previously and the pit sat around the 130c for the next 2 hours. It all worked perfectly once again.

The bottom vent was open about 15mm as before.

This pic shows the position of the butterfly on the TTT during the whole cook. I'd increased the pit temp and foiled the ribs when I took this photo.

Once the ribs were done I thought I'd try the maker's recommended method which involved shutting the bottom vent completely. After a while, the pit temp started dropping and the TTT had opened up to the fully open position, since it had was reacting to the lack of heat coming from the fire in the bottom of the egg.

Here it is after about an hour, still some heat in the chamber but more likely due to the BGE being able to retain heat rather than the fire going well.

Another hour went by and the fire had died. The BGE kept the heat in but the temp had gone down to 100c.

In summary, as we thought, shutting the bottom vent completely is a bad move, particularly in a kamado like this one where the fire is a long way below the top event. How they market the TTT telling people to close the bottom vent is a mystery to me.

The TTT is a brilliant idea and works exactly as intended. I highly recommend them as a control method at a very affordable price.

• In summary, as we thought, shutting the bottom vent completely is a bad move,

Yeah. It's never worked for me and has extinguished the fire as well.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• It must work on some smokers or they wouldn't be recommending it but I'd be trying with the bottom vent cracked open on your Akorn. If it is leaking through the seal with the bottom vent shut, it's better air flow if it comes from below.

• If the bottom is just cracked open a bit, the TTT will handle it fine. I've always controlled my BGE and the Royal kamado I had before that by using the top vent with the bottom about half open. I almost never had it fully open and if I was doing a low and slow, I'd shut it down to maybe 1/4.

I believe there's better control using the top in most cases, which is why the TTT works so well. Other electronic methods work by blowing a regulated amount of air in the bottom and while that does work, they cost a lot more than the TTT.

• G’day

Used it on my Weber rotti as well. They seem to handle a bit of air leaking in I’ve sealed the holes where the shaft goes though with aluminium foil. You also see a little steam/ smoke from the main body of the rotti when first lite. Might be self sealing with the smoke tars. Don’t know Seams to continue to work correctly though.

Regards Dave

• I don't think a very small amount of air leaking at the top is going to effect anything.

BTW Dave, that Weber is way too clean. ;)

• G’day

It was then in 2020 when I picked it up as a road side find. Cleaned and fixed it up. Kept me sane though the COVID shite. Notice the old school wood handles! Made them myself.! Cause I could. White wall tires. Cause I could.

Rotisserie made out of a food safe 44 gallon drum. Took a few friends help… but helped them from crazy

Regards Dave

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!