Venison in the Big Green Egg

• As posted in my review of the Tip Top Temp, I did a venison fillet in the BGE today, rather than doing it sous vide as I've done before. It's so easy to dry it out but the egg turned out a tender and moist result.

I rubbed it with Oakridge Venison & Game Bird rub and tied it up to try to get a more even result.

It's probably the best I've had and the rub and a bit of smoke certainly added a lot of flavour. There was still juice left in the foil after I rested it and that went back in after slicing. It's been vac sealed and refrigerated for a later meal.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I noticed the foil tray under, was this to catch the juices? For this cook I guessing not, as there probably wasn't a lot, but I've taken to doing it more and even when not making a jus, I'm liking resting in the juice and pouring over the sliced meat.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I'd just given the BGE a good high temp burn the day before and brushed down the insides afterwards to get it nice and clean again so the tray was just out of habit to stop juices frying on the plate, which makes unwanted smoke and stains. But you are right, there was almost nothing in the tray at the end. I did get a small amount in the foil during the rest though, and that went in the vac seal bag.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!