Charcoal - best "economical"

• Apologies if covered elsewhere. Did a search. And browse first.

Just wondering what the concensus is on the best charcoal cost/quality. There's some excellent stuff I've seen, but very expensive. The Scottsman in me wants to know what I should use for most cooks.

At the moment if I'm doing a smoke session I use the coconut beads and rely on the flavour from the wood I add.

But for cooking steak and other stuff that I don't add wood I normally use charcoal and get the flavour from that.

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas)

• The standing comment in here has been generally $2 a Kg is about the right price but you can get some real crap at that price.

I was using Firebrand which is a little dearer well a lot dearer than that.

Had also previously been using Gidgee from "the Charcoal Man" but found way too many charcoal fines (small pieces) in it.

The Big Black 20kg bag (forgot the name) at the Big Green shed is about $40 and its OK I have heard but I have never used it.

I recently bought some Chargriller Lump which is $30 for 10Kgs and am yet to use it so cant really comment apart from saying there was little to no fines in it.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• Heat Beads Lump at Bunnings is $40 for 20kg and as Jimmy said, $2/kg is a good measure of what you should be paying. Under that it's very good value. They are large bits so I tend to break them down first to about half the size. The larger bits around the perimeter of a fire are very easy to break after one cook too. You don't want them so small that they block air flow but small bits make lighting easier..

It depends on where you are situated as far as supply goes too. In SE Melb we can get 20kg bags of Red Gum for $35-$40 and that's very good stuff.

For your kettle though, I'd stick to Heat Beads. There are some different types available so have a play with them. I doubt that you'd be able to taste any difference in a kettle using charcoal or beads.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - GMG Davy Crockett - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Thanks. I'll keep the $2/kg in mind.

In addition to the coconut beads I'd been using this (from Bunnings) for steaks etc. Hoping for a higher heat. Which TBH I didn't really find with this product. I'd been using some lump in the past which was really good for real heat but don't know what that was.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ch…umpwood-charcoal_p3171178

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas)

• I liked the coconut beads in my Kettle.

The Char Griller lump just says it's hardwood so who knows what that could be. If you ever come across mangrove from Vietnam, avoid it, the stuff stinks.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - GMG Davy Crockett - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• I liked the coconut beads in my Kettle.

I have noticed they do seem to last a while. I much prefer them than the standard beads.

• And better than Kingstons which burn in half the time. Have you seen the review in here on those ?

Kingsfords vs Heat Beads

• And better than Kingstons which burn in half the time. Have you seen the review in here on those ?

Kingsfords vs Heat Beads

The other interesting thing I noticed in that thread was the comment that the original great beads are hotter than the blue. Is this right?

• Big Black 20kg bag (forgot the name) at the Big Green shed is about $40 and its OK I have heard but I have never used it.

Okay I'm probably being a bit dense and think the penny has dropped. Big green shed AKA Bunnings??

So this bag?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/he…CL7kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• That's the one.

Gumb Some info on Chargriller product on this link at the end. Fruitwood from Vietnam now.

Samba vs Char-griller lump charcoal

davo67 the firebrand ones you ask about we call roboturds as that's what they look like.

I have some honeybrix which are similar and both work great.

A little harder to light but burn nice and hot.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• The other interesting thing I noticed in that thread was the comment that the original great beads are hotter than the blue. Is this right?

Yes. Blue light faster and the ash is a bit finer, but they are more expensive, don't get as hot, don't last as long and are far more crumbly than red beads when trying to reuse. Basically not as good a product in my opinion.

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• Yes. Blue light faster and the ash is a bit finer, but they are more expensive, don't get as hot, don't last as long and are far more crumbly than red beads when trying to reuse. Basically not as good a product in my opinion.

Thanks. Might go back to them, certainly give them another trial. Is there anywhere cheaper than The Big Green Shed to buy these? Quick google shows that's the cheapest unless there is some other supplier I don't know about.

• Any opinions on this? Can't say I've ever used it.

https://firebrandbbq.com.au/pr…m-briquette-charcoal-3kg/

I'm using them now and have been for years. Very good, hot with a long burn time, but buggers to light. Mixed with some lump or a couple of Kingsford briquettes to get them going works well.

They are getting expensive though, the 10kg box they have now for $32 was about $18/box when I started buying them. I've got a stock here I picked up very cheap when a local retailer was quitting them out due to some water damage on the 10kg boxes. I think I paid about $8/box and haven't needed to buy any since then.

• I'm using them now and have been for years. Very good, hot with a long burn time, but buggers to light. Mixed with some lump or a couple of Kingsford briquettes to get them going works well.

They are getting expensive though, the 10kg box they have now for $32 was about $18/box when I started buying them. I've got a stock here I picked up very cheap when a local retailer was quitting them out due to some water damage on the 10kg boxes. I think I paid about $8/box and haven't needed to buy any since then.

I think I'll grab one of the specials boxes. Give them a try.

• Worth while but throw those firelighters away and buy some Samba cardboard type from Bunnings.

• Worth while but throw those firelighters away and buy some Samba cardboard type from Bunnings.

It's says they are "no aroma" but guessing they still add some flavours to the coals? I generally use the chimney on my bbq sideburner to get them going.

• They look the same as the Red Heads which I think are kerosine infused. They have some form of petroleum in them anyway. I guess they aren't so bad under a chimney or even in a kettle once they are burnt out. They are definitely a no-no in a ceramic kamado.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!