Companion pizza oven - loss of heat

• Hi All,

I have owned a Companion stand alone pizza oven. Was lucky enough to pick it up on clearance for under $100 about 7 years or so ago. Stock pic below (mines a lot dirtier than that.

I noticed last winter that it didn't seem to be getting very hot. In the past I would only ever run on full to get it up to heat and if cooking pizzas very quickly (minutes). It would get up around 400-500C.

Now on full it's lucky to get over 250. And I've noticed that the flames on high are a lot lower. So basically high is now like low used to be.

When I bought it you ran gas via one of those small bottles. There was a conversion available at BCF which means it now runs off a standard 9kg cylinder.

I'm not sure why it has suddenly lost heat. I e-mailed companion and got no reply. I'm actually okay to replace it, but no sense doing that if it's not likely to be the oven itself at fault.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Davo

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas)

• Try unscrew the gas connection it may have some crap blocking it up :shrug:

Use an air compressor to blow air back thru it to clean any crap out ...

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Jumbuck pizza oven, 5 Burner beefmaster

• Check the jet does not have some crap in it.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Gas is waxy and can block up the jet. Also some gas is crap.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Could the holes in the burner be clogged or rusting? Can you access them? If so, I'd be 'cleaning' them with a paper clip or skewer depending on the size of the holes.

• Try unscrew the gas connection it may have some crap blocking it up :shrug:

Use an air compressor to blow air back thru it to clean any crap out ...

I'll have a go today. Can of compressed air.

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas)

• Could the holes in the burner be clogged or rusting? Can you access them? If so, I'd be 'cleaning' them with a paper clip or skewer depending on the size of the holes.

I don't think so. They look good. It's a consistent drop in flame size, normally when I get rusted burners the flame sizes go all over the shop.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!