Pellet or offset?

• Check out the gravity fed masterbuilt that everyone is talking about too. Still set and forget convenience but lets you add wood chunks to get some decent smoke flavour going.

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• I've only recently got an offset, but for me, it's the best of the cookers I've either used or owned. I reckon the only one I haven't used is a pellet grill, as after what I currently own, I've also used a Flaming Coals gravity fed charcoal cabinet smoker (which I am a huge fan of), and a drum smoker in a commercial environment. However, I am single, I have no children, I have no commitments when I'm not at work, and for me, sitting outside all day tending a fire, having a few brews is absolutely one of the most relaxing ways to spend a day. It means that I can't bugger off and do something that is a time commitment, and that I'd rather not do anyway. It means I can bugger around the house doing bits and bobs but no real work. What's not to like about that?

If I have to do stuff, I'll use a kamado, that I don't have to monitor. But, I'd say, like everyone else, if you're time poor, a pellet smoker would be the go. End result might not be as good, but it's pretty damn close (like a kamado). And also, as someone who cooks for a living, spending all day cooking on your days off is not something that normally applies.

Dragon Kamado - Fornetto Razzo 18" - Akorn Jr - Pro-Smoke Offset

• I asked the same question on here.... It came down to lifestyle. I went with a pellet smoker because it lets me cook, be a dad, a husband and get the chores done all at the same time.

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• I was considering this option a few years ago and after asking Chris numerous questions about both, I ended up getting a pellet grill.

For me, as much as I wanted the 'romance' of tending a 'live fire' for hours at a time, the reality for me is that I don't have that sort of free time to do it.

As much as I'm sure my family would love the food that was produced from the offset, I don't think they'd appreciate me being married to it for the day to make it. The pellet grill on the other hand is set and forget and it leaves me plenty of time to do other things while it cooks.

I've never tasted food cooked on an offset, so I can't compare, but bbq competitions have been won using either of these BBQs so they turn out great food.

• I have owned and cooked on a lot of different BBQ's in the last 45 years. I have owned offsets and I got away from them for the reason you mentioned. I cooked on my 1st pellet unit in 1997, it was the best tasting BBQ I had ever had, FOR ME. Have you ever eaten any food cooked on a pellet unit? It is not for everyone. If you have not, I would encourage you to see if you can, it is not a flavor for all. Some think it lacks in smoke flavor, I do not happen to be one of those people, and neither were many of the BBQ Competition judges my food was presented to.

Good luck in your search!

However, my concern with an offset smoker would be that once the novelty wears off I’d get tired of tending to the fire box constantly .

I know from personal experience it has in California. Nevada, North Carolina and Virginia! Ja, Ja, Ja..

...but hey they do a great job and have won BBQ Comps all around the world.

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

• I have owned and cooked on a lot of different BBQ's in the last 45 years. I have owned offsets and I got away from them for the reason you mentioned. I cooked on my 1st pellet unit in 1997, it was the best tasting BBQ I had ever had, FOR ME. Have you ever eaten any food cooked on a pellet unit? It is not for everyone. If you have not, I would encourage you to see if you can, it is not a flavor for all. Some think it lacks in smoke flavor, I do not happen to be one of those people, and neither were many of the BBQ Competition judges my food was presented to.

Good luck in your search!

I know from personal experience it has in California. Nevada, North Carolina and Virginia! Ja, Ja, Ja..

G'day Bentley, don't know if you remember or not but around 2009/10, I was lucky enough to score a Traeger 075 from a fire sale on ebay, I never even heard of Pellet grills before I got this thing and I only bought it as it was shaped like an offset and it was made in the USA (had the original round hopper) I'm not sure but i think Hector from here might still have it...anyway, if you remember me from the old forum, I was very much a Weber man through and through but I really enjoyed cooking on this Traeger, had heaps of space. It's just a different taste compared to even placing wood chunks on coals like we do in a Weber. I remember my first ever overnight cook on it, 1 huge pork scotch roast set on smoke (remember the 3 speed thermo on the originals) , put it on at 9pm and got up again at 6am and the entire neighbourhood smelt divine pork smokiness heaven, it was remarkable.

I can see another Pellet grill in my life, probably the new Weber Pellet grills could be the go. Hahaha always the Weber guy 8o

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Jimmy, from what i've been made aware of they did have some issues when they were first released and were addressed by Weber prior to releasing them here, so unless this is a new thing going on with them, I think they ironed out mot issues. Harry Soo cooks on them often and has 2 of them in his back yard.

I think one of the original complaints of the Weber Pellet grills was the shallowness and design of the rear hopper and I think pellets weren't gravity feeding as well as they should have like a vertical hopper does. Anyway, it'll be a while till i go down that road again for now so i'm sure there'll be other newer improvements by then.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• The cost of the Weber pellet grill would be another drawback I think.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - GMG Davy Crockett - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

Just beat me too it, I was going to mention winning lotto first, especially when there are other cheaper proven options that have been running trouble free for years.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Davo they have some other issues and they have some good points as well.

https://amazingribs.com/rating…er-smokefire-pellet-grill

Don't get me wrong they are probably OK but for the $$$$ not for me unless it had no issues.

From what I read you need to keep it pretty clean in terms of ash and I generally couldn't be bothered to have to clean it every time.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• Might wait for a couple of generations of that model. Those Louisiana pellet grills arn't bad either, the LG 900 has the same hopper as the Yoders. Mate of mine up in Port Stephens has one. The Hopper is a bit small but there's an extension available. Grill Pro and another bloke used to import them a couple of years ago but GP stopped when Costco started bringing them into their Australian stores at $900, they were originally sold here for $1700.

Gumb, I think the Webers are quite competitive for the size at $2.5K and the smaller model just under $2K so no mortgage required. Just hope they can iron out some of the issues with them. Hard to come up with a design that hasn't been done before to set apart from other brands.

• Davo agreed sadly it's about market share and growth these days let's forget about quality products and service.

My thoughts are that Weber should just be really great at their kettles which they are. Then if they wanted to get into pellet Grills test the hell out of them like over 4-5 years prior to releasing them to the public.

To release these models when they were not really ready has only done them real harm in terms of credibility.

Yep the kettles are great, really great. Focus on getting the Pellets really great before releasing them and don't give in to people wanting a new product only to be disappointed.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• Gumb, I think the Webers are quite competitive for the size at $2.5K and the smaller model just under $2K so no mortgage required. Just hope they can iron out some of the issues with them. Hard to come up with a design that hasn't been done before to set apart from other brands.

I think that's way over the top Davo. The other brands like GMG, Z Grills, Traeger are well under that and the newer gravity fed charcoal smoker is a much better option as well.

I agree with above comments, Weber should stick to their main game.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - GMG Davy Crockett - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!