• G'day all, I hope that everyone had a great Xmas and new year.

I currently have a Maverick ET-732 which I'm very happy with except for only having the one food probe.

On the odd occasion, I need to monitor 2 different cooks and I've had to use the Maverick for one and an insta-read thermo for the other one, which is a PITA, so I'm looking for a unit that can monitor multiple food temps.

I don't want a unit that uses my phone to monitor and wifi doesn't really appeal to me either.

I've been doing some searching and found the Maverick XR-50 which has 4 channels and seems like a good unit. Does anyone have any experience with these units and can offer any feedback on them, good or bad?

Thanks for looking,

Steve.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• I can't help with that model but Chris has a monitor available with up to 6 probes. The 2 probe version is only $65.

https://urbangriller.com/shop/thermomet…monitor-ctbbq6/

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I can understand not wanting one with an app for the phone but why no bluetooth ? Just curious.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• They may have wifi or Bluetooth doesn’t mean you have to use it .

My InkBird is running now but not hooked up to my phone .

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• I thought the Bluetooth ones all used a phone app? :dunno:

No, some do but it's the bluetooth which send the signal from the sending unit attached to the probes to the receiver unit which can be in the house. You don't need to use the receiver part if you don't need to, it's just part of the package.

Others will bluetooth or wifi to the phone app, and not have a receiver unit, like the Inkbird for example.

• They may have wifi or Bluetooth doesn’t mean you have to use it .

My InkBird is running now but not hooked up to my phone .

Does that model have a remote receiver, or do you have to use a phone app if you want remote capability?

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• No, some do but it's the bluetooth which send the signal from the sending unit attached to the probes to the receiver unit which can be in the house. You don't need to use the receiver part if you don't need to, it's just part of the package.

Others will bluetooth or wifi to the phone app, and not have a receiver unit, like the Inkbird for example.

Ok, I'd be cool with Bluetooth then, I just didn't want to use a phone app. Thanks for the clarification.

• Does that model have a remote receiver, or do you have to use a phone app if you want remote capability?

The Inkbird has an app on the phone, not a separate receiver.

• Correct - app On the phone . I don’t use it that often , but it has come in handy a couple times .

I tend to go and check anyway...

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• G’day

My first temp monitor was a gasmate had different batteries in transmiter and receiver. A real pita cause one or the other had flat battery which would involve a quick trip to the shop just when you least needed. The wireless wouldn’t work in my house either being aluminium clad.

Got given a I-grill mini. And that’s before Weber brought them out. Great one battery. And a button cell that goes forever as long as you leave it out between cooks. Downside .....blue tooth still doesn’t get further than the kitchen and the app chews though the battery time.

Upside. And what I’ll add the main game changer the app has a graph! So easy to see how things have gone and easy to visualise finishing times. You save these for future comparisons but I’ve never bothered in the app just screen shoot the ones I want to share.

So I’ve got my phone on the back verandah on the charger.... easy.

So I’d check for both Bluetooth and wireless that it has a graph

Regards Dave

Edited once, last by cobblerdave (January 17, 2021 at 9:59 AM).

• G’day

Whoops better explain the crazy graph. I was using the prob to monitor the temp of a smoker I’d just finished a cook on.

I played with it a bit. Closed it down then opened the door up to see how fast it would act. Then let it run on to see how much further it would burn and that last temp hike is the water bowl running dry ( yes a bloody nice mess to clean even after adding more water)

Regards Dave

• The iBBQ6 (made by same mob who make inkbird) uses a phone app for setting the parameters for each probe.

Once it is setup, I kill the app and just use the big screen to monitor the BBQ and Food, it scrolls through the available probes and displays the current and target temp for each in turn.

• G’day UrbanGriller

Just read your discrption that thermo ticks the box for me as you can have a simple graph, champion!

Not thinking of replacing my single at this time but if it should go tits up id certainly consider your 2 probe job.

I brought my tip top temp from your web page.... champion piece of kit!

Regards Dave

• I have the same one that Urban Griller sells but the older version. Even after taking a bath in a tub full of water for 2 days before i found it is still kicking along nicely. As much as everyone raves about the inkbirds i prefer this one over the inkbird. the Probes on the IBBQ6 i find are a nicer size compared the inkbird probes and they comes with handle cable tidy's

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions so far, I really appreciate it.

In my further searching I found this from Inkbird.

https://www.ink-bird.com/products-wirel…eter-irf4s.html

This seems to have similar specs to the Maverick and it has the remote receiver that I'm after. Does anyone have any opinions on this model?

Thanks again,

Steve.

• Nothing wrong with any of the Inkbird range according to all the posts I've seen. I have the smaller unit and it works fine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!