Nexgrill Fortress 2 at Costco

• Hi All

Firstly I must confess it's been a while since I last logged in. Currently I'm looking for a small barbecue for a courtyard in a flat. I've got a 4 burner gasser and my trusty rusty old weber 57 which are going to take up too much space and been thinking of getting either a Akorn Jr or a second hand BabyQ or Ziggy or something along those lines and was going to put a post into the which BBQ thread.

Anyway management decided she needed to go to Costco this afternoon after we had been out for Australia day and I tagged along and saw this. It's bigger than a Baby Q and seems to get comparisons with a Q2200. I forgot to take a photo of what it looked like with the lid down but I think the clearance is more like a standard weber than a high lid model and the thermometer probe sticks downward. I'm pretty sure it was $230 and looking at the box it says its made in Taiwan which if its anything like bike parts means it will be pretty well made. there was also another grill under the flat plate.

Whilst I love cooking with charcoal and pretty much had the wife convinced on an Akorn Jr the reality is it will be used for mid week cooks so I'm thinking this may be a reasonable way to go and with two burners there's a chance I can dial it down enough to cook something low and slow. Considering what people are asking for second hand Q's and Ziggys it seems like a reasonable option, has anyone had any experience with them?

• Whilst I love cooking with charcoal and pretty much had the wife convinced on an Akorn Jr the reality is it will be used for mid week cooks so I'm thinking this may be a reasonable way to go and with two burners there's a chance I can dial it down enough to cook something low and slow. Considering what people are asking for second hand Q's and Ziggys it seems like a reasonable option, has anyone had any experience with them?

There's really no small gas BBQ that I know that can do low and slow (250f) easily. They usually get too hot people have done it by propping the lid open more or by using an adaptor to choke the gas to very low.

• I'm not expecting super low and slow but at least having the ability to only have one burner on means I've got half a chance of being able to do a reverse sear on it. I cooked on a friends ziggy twin on Christmas day and found it was pretty hard to dial down, had too much on board for a water pan but one of those extra valves would have been handy.

Getting back to the nexgrill the one I looked at had open grill bars with a deflector fitted above the burners but on other pics on the net they show open burners with the solid outline of the burner cast into the grill bars. Is one style better than the other?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!