Debate, Cheeks vs Ribs vs Brisket

• Which is best? 26

1. Cheeks (10) 38%
    2. Ribs (15) 58%
    3. Brisket (1) 4%

Ok, did some of the export quality Cape Grim beef cheeks tonight, see pics. I left the time a bit tight so had to transfer into the pressure cooker for a while, but they turned out as I wanted, unreal. This started some debate around the table, being beef, the kids started debating cheeks vs ribs vs brisket, debate was kept to beef only.

So, figured I'd have a poll, vote and debate away.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Edited 2 times, last by Wazza (February 8, 2021 at 1:34 AM).

• Too hard, we need another option....all of the above

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Difficult to pick as they all stand out, but I chose cheeks as they are cheap, easy to get in my area and are easy to apportion in a house of 2 adults and small kids, with minimal leftovers. Also I have found the quality of cheeks is pretty standard across the board, whereas the quality of brisket and ribs varies a lot depending on supplier or butcher. Also cheek meat has to be the best looking meat in its pulled form.

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

• Man, that was a tough choice. I also ended up going with cheeks, just something about that sticky beef goodness.

I do love a brisket, but haven't cooked one up in probably two years or so due to being time poor and also not really hosting much in the way of gatherings since kids came into the equation :D

Cheeks are much more manageable for me at the moment. Ribs probably could have pipped them about 5 years ago when they were like $10 - $12 a kg and I cooked them a lot... Now it's not uncommon to see them going at some butchers for $25 a kilo so I find I buy them less...

Poll was also made hard as my wife is pregnant and has gone off beef for some reason so I'm not cooking much beef anyway. With the first kid she went off chicken but is fine with it this time around :shrug:

• Well this did not go the way I expected. My kids voted for brisket, but only just. And to be fair, pretty much the only brisket I cook is cape grim, so they don't get it often.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Yeah, looking like I’m the only brisket lover at this stage.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Cheeks are not readily available here, I have had them a few times and they are very good. A Beef Back Rib is wonderful. I am not as thrilled with Chuck or Plate Short ribs on the bone. Short Plate Rib meat in a burger mix is over the top...Lets just say I was very conflicted in my voting!

Brisket, meh, best in chili or ground beef!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• As an aside, where are you guys getting your cheap beef cheeks? I think I paid $16+/kg so in my case a lot cheaper to buy brisket from Costco.

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas) Bunnings $85 Jumbuck Charcoal Rotti GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• I've been getting great success on boring old Coles beef cheeks! Not sure what the $/kg is, but even if its a similar price to ribs the advantage is you can actually buy a much smaller weight.

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• As an aside, where are you guys getting your cheap beef cheeks? I think I paid $16+/kg so in my case a lot cheaper to buy brisket from Costco.

Almost zero waste with Cheeks, no fat to cut off. Also easy to work out how many portions to cook so that them economical.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!