Who are our Brisbane members?

• This may seem a bit strange, but bare with me. We have a son heading to Brisbane for a Nationals, but the accommodation is self contained, so he'll need to do all his own shopping, cooking, lunch etc, and he's pretty hopeless. We are looking at ways of making this easier, especially as he may be knackered after racing when he gets back.

We are exploring the idea of potentially getting a forum member to cook up some pulled pork or beef or something and vac sealing into portion sizes so he simply has to nuke to heat up then add salad or vegies plus some carbs. We fear however that each meal will be protein and carb based, aka pulled pork in a roll with no salad or veg, but that's another issue to sort out. I'd transfer the money over to pay for it all of course.

As I said exploring ideas, firstly seeing if someone would be happy to do this. I may just have to bite the bullet and go as well, if that happens we could maybe have a Brisbane catch up?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Wazza where is the racing at in Brisbane and where is he staying and for how long.

I could help out but just need to know timing etc....

Are you referring to this when you say "racing" ?

https://tracknationals.org.au/schedule/list/

If so I live about 10 minutes from there.

Happy to catch up if you came over as well.

I am sure werewolf , Steman , cjbfisher & Bilda would be as well. Apologies if I have missed anybody else in the Brisbane area.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Jimmy70 Yeah that's the one, the junior one in April. They are staying a couple of suburbs over from there.

I had no idea that web page even existed. We are very new to this sport, the boys only got put onto a track bike a touch under 3 months ago, so I'm very much still trying to figure it out.

I'm starting to learn one thing about this sport though, I need to win lotto. Athletics is MUCH cheaper.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Thanks gents. I've had a chat to Jimmy70 separately and told him this so will relay it to you guys. The written communication that came out had myself and my wife equally concerned. We weren't the only parents either. It looks like this is a case of an email not being interpreted in the same way as was the intent, happens a lot with written communication. Hence us looking for a contingency plan in case it was needed.

We had the team briefing on the weekend and we are much more comfortable. Yes the boys will be looking after themselves, but under experienced supervision and in small groups, and we now understand why they want to do it this way, and support the reasons.

So, I just need to work out if I am also going to make the trip, and if I do I would love to catch up with the QLD crew if possible. Will let you all know if I am coming.

• Wazza I Just saw your post so running a bit late.

It's an awesome sport. Certainly more expensive than athletics tho, I agree. Your boy's club and the WA state body should have helped him out with info, links etc. I've been out of the sport for a few years and not ridden track for even longer, but the community is what makes the sport, and there are a lot of folk from WA who have been regulars at nationals over the years who should be able to give some support and guidance for someone going to the first nationals. I used to live about 10 minutes from Chandler (the velodrome) but sadly moved away, otherwise, I'd be more than happy to help.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• Thanks matty but we are more comfortable now we've met up with the older hands going on the trip. The whole cooking thing has been explained further.

While the boys will be expected to look after themselves, it is being done in a controlled environment with experienced chaperones watching over and guiding them. They figure the kids who are making Nationals at this age are a chance of going on and competing when older, and they will need to be completely self sufficient by then, so this is starting that process of getting them ready.

We had a bit of a treat from the stands at the WA State Champs, watching Shane Perkins and Matt Richardson go at it. You probably don't know who Matt is yet, but you'll see him come Toyko. He's the new National sprint Champion. In the flying 200 Shane broke the track record only for Matt to go next and break it again.

Matt is also a really nice young guy. He was over here on holiday in one of his rare breaks, but came down several times to coach this new bunch of kids who had been put in this squad. I think it's fantastic when athletes at this level give back to the sport. Luke Durbridge also made an appearance over the summer.

Yeah, Aths is a pair of running spikes, and depending on the child also a pair of jumping spikes, this cycling caper looks very expensive.

• OK Wazza is coming to our fair city of Brisvegas for the Nationals.

Catch up on the 9th of April somewhere over Mt Gravatt way might be best.

Anybody on here have any thoughts on that ??

I am thinking maybe Westfields Mt Gravatt as they have a nice Food court area unless anybody else on here knows anywhere else ???

https://www.westfield.com.au/gardencity/dining

Maybe a Pub or some such ?

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• A quick google search shows there are some close by, I didn't come across Frankie's though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!