• Has anyone ever tried smoking using chilli wood for flavour? I looked and the Australian Timber Matrix for Smoking does not include chilli. I had a whole bunch of serrano chilli bushes that were in need of pruning (curly yellow leaves) and one that was about six feet tall that died this summer. A small but not insignificant amount of wood. Wondering if I can use it to impart flavour onto some meat?

You know how it is, when you've got a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• matty April 3, 2021 at 4:07 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Chillii wood?” to “Chilli wood?”.
  • Never knew chilli bushes grew big enough. How big are the pieces you have?

A couple of the bushes were around five to six feet high and jsut as wide. I threw the green bits in the bin but the 'woody' bits I kept. Some of the woody bits are as thick as a sausage; a lot, half the thickness of your finger. It's not a lot , but I imagine there would be just enough to get a hint of flavour. Questin is, what sort of flavour???

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• Only one way to find out 🤷‍♂️

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Ive tried it and frankly got bugger all chilli from it just like eating a stalk from a strawberry doesn't resemble any strawberry flavour.

That said my next experiment is to smoke with some lemon tree offcuts to see how that works.

• Ive tried it and frankly got bugger all chilli from it just like eating a stalk from a strawberry doesn't resemble any strawberry flavour.

That said my next experiment is to smoke with some lemon tree offcuts to see how that works.

Oh I have a kaffir lime tree, which I use the leaves in curries, you think the leaves might be worth giving a go in a smoke box perhaps? Thinking if they were dried out might act like smoking with tea leaves?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!