Choice anxiety...Sher Black 8+, Kiwami 9 or WX 5+

• Looking at cooking an 8kg Brisket for my daughters 5th birthday.

I've got three choices of brisket, similarly priced $20-25 difference...

Sher Black 8+ $176

Kiwami 9 $151.99

or WX Ranger 5+ $168

Which should I go for?

I've done a smaller Kiwami - it was fantastic, my daughter said it was my best one yet, havent tried any of the others yet..

Home made Lamb spit, Dino Egg - Kamado, Jumbuck Portable pizza Oven, Weber GA, Asmoke Pellet grill, Beefer - Chinese knock off

• We recently went and spent some time chatting to the BBQ owner of Frankies in Brisbane (see thread here: RE: Who are our Brisbane members?).

His tip was getting a mid range quality (grade 3-ish) that has been grass fed for the main reasons of

a) Wagyu can be overwhelming rich and therefore not enjoyable, as so fatty/oily and;

b) When it rests the oils re-solidify and you end up with not an enjoyable mouth feel.

Sounded like from his description that might be worth lowering your grade of beef a little, both cheaper and potentially a better result.

I don't personally have any experience with that high of grade of meat, just parroting his perspective, and seemed to come from a genuine place of interest and learning so took on board.

• What will you cook it in? Seems the consensus from the group there at the time was Kamado was quickest as high moisture so avoided the stall... Avoiding the stall might be beneficial if trying to have the energy to host a part and not be up at 3am to get it started...

• I have cooked a Robins Island 8-9 & Security foods 7-9 and both have been fantastic. I agree with The Old Chook quoting Frankies owner saying that the high marble score can make it overwhelming & hard to eat a big serve. But this can also work for you in that people wont eat as much as they feel fuller due to the richness.

Going back to the question at hand, if you've tried Kiwami & enjoyed it stick with what you know. Granted i've heard good things about all of those brands so i dont think you'll be disappointed by any of them. Go with whichever looks best

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Thanks guys. I was planning on cooking it in the kamado, no chance it's going to fit in the baby Asmoke. Last time I did the Kiwami it was a 2kg hot and fast cook at 275f. Plus I've got a 3kg pork butt to go into the Asmoke. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Kiwami. Let you guys know how it all goes.

Thanks for all the input guys

Home made Lamb spit, Dino Egg - Kamado, Jumbuck Portable pizza Oven, Weber GA, Asmoke Pellet grill, Beefer - Chinese knock off

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!