Jimmy's Holiday in AUS

• So after my Second Trip to the US was cancelled thanks to COVID.

My brother, Nephew & I are travelling to the Kimberley (Kununurra) over the month of May driving and camping.

Wife and I are running with Two single Swags on Stretcher beds under an awning off of the side of the car.

Brother and his wife have a camper trailer with full kitchen (well hob & Sink anyway).

Nephew and his partner are in a tent.

Dropped the Navara in for some work thanks to TJM (before photos below).

Heading across to Alice Springs via Donohue / Plenty Hwy's and up to Kununurra via the Buchanan Hwy.

No real itinerary other than we need to be in Kununurra on the 16th of May. We leave on the 8th.

Coming back via the Barclay Hwy.

Taking the Akorn Jr to have an oven / charcoal grill with us as well as a Firepit that has a Stainless grill on top of it.

Was tempted to take the DC but don't think I have enough room. It may still happen not sure at this stage.

Some of the brisket I recently cooked went into a Chilli Con Carne & a Massaman Curry both of which have been vacuum sealed and frozen before we go.

It will be nice to get away and show the boss where I grew up as well as experience some of the great country we live in.

This is something that the wife and I are now wanting to do more of.

We will start with this setup at this stage and down the track will probably enter the world of caravanning.

Will try and keep this up to date with the various places etc... as we go.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Yep we will be well away from the water and the reality is we are staying at Lake Kununurra (Freshies only in Lake) then at El Questro (well controlled by staff) and then Lake Argyle (freshies only).

On way back we then go to Mataranka from Kununurra which is about as far north as we will stayin the NT.

The only other place we may need to be careful is if we stay at Victoria River as opposed to Top Springs on the way over.

Again we will be well back from the River and facing away from the river.

I will of course make sure the boss is in between me and the river :D  :D

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Sounds like a great trip.

I'm heading off in June for 3 months going up through the Flinders, Alice via Binns track, more back roads to Darwin, then Cahills Crossing to the Cobourg Penninsula in Arhem land. We definitely need to watch for big lizards on this one.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Reginal WA is completely packed. Have you booked at the places you need to? It's pretty hard to get into anywhere in WA right now.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Please take many pictures and post so this foreigner can live vicariously on your trip!

Edit: You live way south right? Redlands by Melbourne? So this is like a 5700km round trip? I will just assume that is right and ask, do you just basically drive Northwest till you get there? Bisecting the country?

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Edited once, last by Bentley Meredith (April 28, 2021 at 6:18 AM).

• do you just basically drive Northwest till you get there? Bisecting the country?

Difficult to do that, you could get some of the way but you'd run out of road in the middle. You'd need to go up through Darwin or across to WA then up.

• Bentley Meredith I live in Brisbane (Redlands Council area). Which is about half way up the East side of Australia.

Round trip is some 6000klms roughly.

Pretty much just drive west out through Longreach, Winton, Boulia and then across the desert to Alice Springs. Then turn right and head towards the top of Western Australia.

This is entirely dependant on the weather as if it rains the dirt road across the desert will not be open. This will mean that we will have to travel north and across the Barclay highway which is sealed road.

I guess having a pick up will make it all the more easy.

That pick up is the equivalent of a Nissan Frontier in your wonderful part of the world.

Hope you are keeping safe.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Thanks to you and UG for the knowledge! I have spent the last 30 minutes on Google Earth plotting your journey according to your data. I would seriously consider giving up the Left one for a trip like this!

I have always wanted to go to a Dark Sky Sanctuary area and you will be in some of the finest in the World! Probably the closest I have been is backpacking in the Sierra Nevada's in the 1980's. I actually saw satellites orbiting several times on those trips.

• Same truck as in 1st post? Color looks different, but that could be angle and sun. Lets see, intake snorkel, shell, off road tires(?) Can't figure out what the poll coming off the grill is and what the long black thing on the luggage rack is?

Your cattle guard has a wench?

• Pole on Bull bar at front is antenna for UHF and long black thing on roof rack is what we call an awning.

It gives you extra shade off of the side of the car.

Will post another pic when we have set up.

Yes it was overcast yesterday so colour looks a little different

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• So UHF will be primary communication.

There is three vehicles travelling so we will be able to communicate. As well as communicate with other travellers as we go. Can also use UHF to communicate with Rescue Authorities if needed. There are a couple of dedicated channels for authorities.

We also have a GPS "Personal Locator Beacon" for an emergency situation. It's a one use item and you push the button and somebody I.e. Emergency services turns up.

Thought about Sat phone but they are expensive to run for no huge benefit IMO. The locator beacon there is no ongoing monitoring costs it was a once off $$$$$$ outlay. Not cheap but security knowing if we need to use it we can. The Sat phone is expensive to buy (you can hire them) and the service plan I.e. Access to satellite is an expensive additional cost as well.

Besides which we are not really of the phone grid for that long in any event.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!