Blackstone 28 inch griddle conversion to natural gas

• Official Post

Following Urban Griller lead, I recently went and bought the Blackstone 28 inch griddle from Amazon. It arrived safely 3 weeks later or so.

I'm not a fan of LPG bottles, so the plan was to convert it to Australian natural gas as I have an outlet already installed on my deck. I figured that I'd in addition to the AU hose I'd also need jets with a bigger hole to compensate for the lower pressure and heat energy of house gas.

DISCLAIMER:

I'm not a plumber and the information contained in this post should not be used as a guide or reference, nor seen as advice to follow. Consult with your plumber and relevant authorities, as well as your bbq manufacturer, for any advice in relation to natural gas conversion.

The assembly of the BBQ was super easy and took approximately 10 minutes. It was then time for a trip to Bunnings to buy the Australian natural gas outlet hose as well as some larger jets that would allow the griddle to still get hot enough.

I hit the jackpot with this conversion kit for Matador Bbqs, which I would then seek a plumber to install:

The hose comes with a preinstalled regulator and screwed right into the place that the US hose was in.

This sealer was used to avoid leaks:

The matador kit includes a heap of jets. I only needed 2.

The type A had the right thread, and the biggest ones were used, which were apparently intended for the sear and side burners of the Matador (2.04mm and 2mm).

Seems to have gone well and the elements are putting out a great flame:

Seasoned the grill last night. Hope to use it later today or tomorrow.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• That looks like you could get some serious heat in that hotplate.

One of the best things I did was get an external bayonet for the bbq, never have to worry about bottles.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Official Post

I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to get it as hot with NG because that's what happened with my Weber genesis. I've been pleasantly surprised. This thing gets very hot fast.

I tried it with the original jets and it even had trouble lighting. With the 1.6mm jets it was an ok flame, but it wouldn't have been the same as intended. The 2mm jets did the trick. Almost too hot when on maximum.

• I tried to get one of these today - it seems to err are not in stock or discontinued!😢

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• You need to keep checking, they come up every few weeks and usually run out in 4-5 days

Yeah ok I will keep checking every few days , been on the look out for a couple weeks now

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Yeah ok I will keep checking every few days , been on the look out for a couple weeks now

Hang in there bushy. Amazon seem to have some products that are mostly out of stock, but come back in stock randomly and don't last too long. The Blackstone griddle is one of them, Ego power+ tools is another. They do come back, but it can take a while.

• They don’t seem to hang around long for sale , missed out again.

I really only want the 22” but will take a 26” next time they have stock.

Never enough BBQ

• Snooze u loose I guess 😢

Never enough BBQ

• I’m awake ,

I really only want the 22” so I can put it on a bench and not have another trolly bbq ….

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Never enough BBQ

• I read this with interest.

I have considered converting my gas BBQ to natural. I was discussing this with the BBQ place I got it.

One thing they mentioned was the gas pressure available in my area is too low for the BBQ, and I should stick with bottle gas. I am sure they do not have skin in the game as they do sell Natural and LPG gas BBQs.

I would love to hear anyones experience with converting in what is reported in a low pressure gas area. Full disclosure, I do have a gas space heater, and also a gas stove hotplate that is in use as well. From memory the guy said the issues were raised when using multiple gas appliances, along with the gas BBQ.

In truth now I use the Primo far more than the Gas BBQ.

Paul

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbup:

• Hey guys, was wondering if someone can advise whether there is any modification, change of hoses etc to run the Blackstone grills on Aussie LPG bottles? Cheers

• there is any modification, change of hoses etc

Yes the hose needs to be replaced. The onethat came with the matador kit screwed right in to replace the US hose.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to get it as hot with NG because that's what happened with my Weber genesis. I've been pleasantly surprised. This thing gets very hot fast.

I tried it with the original jets and it even had trouble lighting. With the 1.6mm jets it was an ok flame, but it wouldn't have been the same as intended. The 2mm jets did the trick. Almost too hot when on maximum.

Narmnaleg, I see your OP was close to 2 years ago now about the Blackstone Griddle and that you changed it to run on Nat Gas, so I'm now asking, do you still consider the Blackstone Griddle a good buy? Do you use it Much and it still runs ok on NG?

Also, since you've done the Conversion, Natural Gas has gone up considerably and with the dumb arse pollies trying to discourage Natural Gas Usage now, I'm wondering how much has it gone up, Do you think it's still worth it to use NG over Bottle Gas?

The reason I'm asking is I've recently bought a place on the NSW/Vic Border (Albury) and it has Natural Gas with outside Bayonets to connect to an outside BBQ, I don't have a Gasser atm but want to buy one, either another Weber or Maybe one of these Blackstone griddles (with your conversion)

Narm, what do you think in regards to the future of Nat gas for households as when I buy my next Gasser, I want it to outlast me lol.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!