Newbie help with a gas grill / heat / flame / lid

• Hi

Im looking for any advice please with cooking on a gas BBQ.

I have done whole roasts, chicken/pork etc with indirect heat after getting the BBQ nice and hot, leaving the lid down and forgetting about it for a while. Just keeping an eye on it to not get too hot. I have also managed fine with chicken thighs, searing them off then leaving in a cooler area to continue cooking with the lid down and similar I think with pork skewers.

What I get confused about is things like burgers and sausages. Online I have seen advice saying to get the grill hot, then stick the burger on the grill above the flames on about medium, close the lid, then flip after about 4 mins. I did this and they did turn out good, but I get nervous that the meat is above the flame so i'm worried its going to get burned too fast. Will this happen or will it take longer above the flame to get to this point. Plus if there are a few burgers then those nearer the back are going to get to this point faster. With the lid down they did cook fast which was great, rather than watching someone flip a burger every minute for 20 mins...

How about chicken thighs where quite a bit of fat usually drips of and flames up. Is this better searing with the lid up and then moving to a cooler area for a while with he lid down like I have done before?

Then lastly, if I was to spatchcock a chicken, again the advice online is "put on medium grill...close lid" maybe I just cant get my head around flames being underneath it. Have I got something wrong?

Thanks for any help

• Hi GA, welcome to the forum.

It kind of depends on your equipment. My last gasser was a bunnings special and I tended to find that if I had fatty food about the burners it would catch fire. I'd need to constantly monitor.

I purchased a set of "grill grates" from the US (I think you can get them from Aus now though) and this was something of a life changer. I still had fat flare ups but they were minor and controlled. Hence could cook more how you're thinking of. Certainly before the grill grates I could never shut the lid on some burgers, skin on chicken thighs, forequarter chops (or really any high fat meat).

About 4 years ago I upgraded to a weber genesis. Initially I used the grill grates but found the design of the grill was fine such that I could also cook high fat foods with the standard grill it came with.

So I don't really have an answer, just my experience.

My suggestion would be to try and see what happens. Most of the fun with cooking is in learning. The most important thing is not to leave it unattended. BBQ works best when supervised. And gives the chef a chance for some "lubrication".

Good luck!

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas) Bunnings $85 Jumbuck Charcoal Rotti GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• Grill Grates are a 'grate' suggestion. ;)

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• What Gasser are you talking about?? Some are way hotter than others.

Do you have Flame Tamers in it? Or are the burners exposed? These things make a difference.

The other thing you could do is a "Sacrificial burn" Buy some cheap chicken bits from the supermarket and try to burn them, see how long it takes. Remember every time you open the lid you let heat out and it takes a minute or two for the heat to build back up.

If you had a BBQ probe set, you could leave a probe in the meat and read the Temp from the outside, this is foolproof and ensures you cook everything perfectly.

• Thanks for your reply. Yes my BBQ does have flame tamers or flavorizers as I have seen them advertised as. It's not a big name brand grill. Its a John Lewis one (here in the UK).

I guess the tamers will change some methods then?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!