Meater alternative (cheaper)

• Hi All,

I have a meater block and love it. My sister visited last week and admired it. Until she saw the price. Is there anything comparable for a more reasonable price?

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas) Bunnings $85 Jumbuck Charcoal Rotti GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• Very true, but $500 is way outside her budget.

Hence why I'm looking for something she can afford.

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas) Bunnings $85 Jumbuck Charcoal Rotti GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• I've noticed not many people on here use Inkbird, any particular reason? They aren't quite as fancy as the meater but they really don't need to be.

I use them for BBQ and brewing and can't fault them.

My WiFi 4 probe unit was under $100 delivered with a free pen thermometer.

• The inkbird I looked at at Bunnings was wired (which isn't much use on a rotisserie :) Is there a wireless version that's any good?

This was probably what I was considering for her - if it's wireless, and people think it's decent.

• Just to clarify - if I wasn't clear in my earlier post - by wireless I mean no wire from the probe to the main unit. Not wireless to your phone etc.

• I haven’t seen any wireless probe ones other then the meater ones, other wise I would own one.

Meaters is on my list as they pair up the the smart fire.

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• There's a heap of knock-offs that will come up in your FB feed if you click on meater (clearly FB don't track your info :) but I'm guessing these will be absolute shit.

• FB can’t track me - not on there 😜

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Why not PM our very own Urban Griller to see if he carries alternative ?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I have found a cheaper one on mydeal.com.au

I would say buy at your own risk and in no way am recommending this product , but you never know...

Never enough BBQ

• Official Post

That dosn't look like it would work on a rotti. Direct heat is the killer.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• For rotisserie I generally just use an instant read. Takes 2 seconds to stop the turn and take a reading. Ive never viewed rotisserie cooking as a set and forget type arrangement.

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

• My old man keeps hinting that he wants a Meater for his birthday next month so thinking of getting him the Meter Plus... have been on the look out for a cheaper alternative as I don't know how much he'll actually use it but there doesn't seem to be one.

• Official Post

For rotisserie I generally just use an instant read. Takes 2 seconds to stop the turn and take a reading. Ive never viewed rotisserie cooking as a set and forget type arrangement.

Not that I do rotisserie often but that's the method I use as well.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• My old man keeps hinting that he wants a Meater for his birthday next month so thinking of getting him the Meter Plus... have been on the look out for a cheaper alternative as I don't know how much he'll actually use it but there doesn't seem to be one.

If you're happy to spend the $$ you won't regret the meater. Personally have only used the block. I got it via Kickstarter then waited 2 years for delivery. Got it after some locals got there's but that's another story.

The original meater has limited range. Plus and block better. But might not be that big of a deal. Having said that with low slow I do tend to be working in my office and just keep an eye on it. With the block it's wifi/cloud so you get the readings anywhere.

For rotisserie I generally just use an instant read. Takes 2 seconds to stop the turn and take a reading. Ive never viewed rotisserie cooking as a set and forget type arrangement.

Very true but it does make life easier. And ultimately that's what it's about. My block was out of batteries yesterday. Cooking a picanha. Had seared and then was thinking "have to use the instant read for the last bit". Nah bugger that, found some new batteries and chilled for the next 15 mins with no stress on how it was going (perfect btw - thank you Meater).

• Official Post

Will the Meater signal go through the ceramic wall of a kamado ?

• If you can drop your kamado over for a month or two I'll test :)

With the weber I put the block (which is the bit that connects to wifi) under the weber. That works fine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!