Meater alternative (cheaper)

• Official Post

Actually I just watched a YouTube vid where the guy had it in chicken cooked in his Kamado Joe with the Joetisserie. Worked fine.

hmmmm.....is there another purchase coming on. Best I head off to bed before I hit the buy button.

eBay has the plus single probe for $135 inc shipping from USA

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Official Post

The inkbird I looked at at Bunnings was wired (which isn't much use on a rotisserie :) Is there a wireless version that's any good?

This was probably what I was considering for her - if it's wireless, and people think it's decent.

Put a spare set of prongs on the outside end of the BBQ and attach the sender to that so it spins.

The wires get routed through the ferrule

See these pics for a basic setup

• Will the Meater signal go through the ceramic wall of a kamado ?

Yeah it does. I've also got the Block from kickstarter and it has no trouble with the signal.

The only thing I don't like about the Meater probes are how fat and how deep you have to insert them. (oh the innuenduo!)

Sometimes it's a struggle to get the tip of the probe to end up in the middle of the meat.

Apart from that they are great, especially for rotisserie.

Apparently they also can now be paired with the latest Smartfire controller, that would be a great combo!

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• How have I never seen this before? This is smart. But does it not crush the probe cable between the spit rod and the ferrule? I suppose you could pack it out a bit with a metal skewer or something.

Dragon Kamado - Fornetto Razzo 18" - Akorn Jr - Pro-Smoke Offset

• Be interested how that goes. Please let use know!

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas) Bunnings $85 Jumbuck Charcoal Rotti GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• The only thing I don't like about the Meater probes are how fat and how deep you have to insert them. (oh the innuenduo!)

Kookabanus I’ve been thinking about getting a Meater Original to use with my Smartfire so I can track the temperature of briskets when it’s resting in the esky and not connected to the pit. I was concerned about the size of the probe. Looks much larger than a standard temperature probe?

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• matty it's just much fatter than a normal probe, and has to be inserted to a certain depth. None of that would be an issue on bigger cuts like brisket, I think they suit that kind of cut more so.

I don't use them when I make bacon because it would leave a big hole in the meat, or if your steak isn't big enough you might struggle to get the end of the probe in the middle of the meat.

You wouldn't have those issues with brisket/pulled pork/chicken etc

• Thanks Kookabanus that makes sense. Yes, I was worried about leaving holes in the meat. Exactly.

I’ve never made bacon (must learn) so not sure about sizing; guess I’d insert into brisket point ok, but, what about brisket flat or even a nice thick cut of reverse sear steak (which when I do them are usually 1.5-2 inches thick and similar thickness to many brisket flats). Would that thicknes of meat cope ok, assuming it’s a large enough cut to get far enough in as you say?

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• matty I think that kind of thickness is fine. I wouldn't worry so much about the hole in a brisket or even steak. It would probably sort of close up when you take the probe out I imagine.

Finished bacon is quite firm so the hole stays put!

• Thanks Kookabanus that makes sense. Yes, I was worried about leaving holes in the meat. Exactly.

I’ve never made bacon (must learn) so not sure about sizing; guess I’d insert into brisket point ok, but, what about brisket flat or even a nice thick cut of reverse sear steak (which when I do them are usually 1.5-2 inches thick and similar thickness to many brisket flats). Would that thicknes of meat cope ok, assuming it’s a large enough cut to get far enough in as you say?

I've seen meater probes used in steaks fairly often in youtube vids.

• So I signed up for the Meater mailing list right after this discussion. Immediately got a 10% discount offer in the mail, so I ordered an 'Original' from their US store (long story).

I see their US store is currently offering 20% off plus free shipping, so if anyone has relatives in the US, or has one of those international shipping services for online shopping, then it's well worth looking at, even with the terrible AU$ exchange rate as the US prices are significantly cheaper than Australia.

• Big Green Shed stocks the Matador branded EC-Pin knock-offs. They're about 1/2 the price of the Meater, and about 1/2 as good too. Still, I'm using mine until I can justify a Meater Block.

Kamado Joe Big Joe III - Everdure Furnace

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!