Detroit Style Pizza

• Start of the Detroit Style. I am using a America's Test Kitchen recipe, with the sauce from Serious Eats link that Trooper sent me. He said that sauce is the closest he has seen to Buddy's, so I figured why not. I am going with Sweet Italian & Onion for toppings. No shot at Brick Cheese in Mayberry, so ATK says a good substitute is Monterey Jack of Munster. I have opted for Monterrey Jack and just a tad of low moisture mozzarella. Now 15 minute rest, then spread out in pan with oiled finger, then a 2-3 hour rise, till tripled in volume. My Blue Steel pan will not be here until tomorrow. ATK used a 13x9 for theirs, so I though it might be interesting to try the same method, and then when the pan gets here see if there is a big difference, or I just wasted $38...

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

• I like when you are following a video recipe and what you are producing is coming out pretty much like what they are showing. Would not have believed the dough could "loosen"

that much in 15 minutes. I am excited so far! I think the only let down may be having had a "real" Detroit with the Brick cheese and trying to duplicate that flavor with a knock off!

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

• Not a bad taste! I bit acidic, but I think I have become abnormally sensitive to acidic food in the last few years!

• Buddy's in Michigan does not have to worry quite yet.

Way to much dough (disappointed in ATK on that one), when I make it again, I will use half of the ball. That will take care of issue #1. No vegetables, I believe they may have release moisture. Maybe Detroit Style has them, don't know. I did not have anything but sausage in Grand Haven and it was very crisp. Sauce, well when you are told to use whole canned tomatoes and you use homemade paste, you will have an issue. The sauce I made was horrible in this application, would have been wonderful on a traditional Red pizza. That will take care of issue#2. With all of the other issues, no idea if the Jack will work as a decent substitute, will see when I make Pie #2.

I look forward to the pan coming tomorrow, getting some canned tomatoes so I can make the sauce the way the recipe calls for and using much less dough! Bottom and sides were great for crispy, just way to much dough in center.

• That crumb looks pretty good to me. :yum)

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• That's what I'd call a VERY deep pan pizza. :)

#2 will be interesting.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• A pinch of bicarb soda should fix that up.

I'd forgotten all about bicarb in this context. I had the most wonderful house tomato sauce the other day and was wondering how they got the depth of flavour and I reckon by calming the acidity without adding other characters, made a rounder mouthfeel.

• I wasn't aware of Detroit style pizza, interesting. Looking forward to attempt number 2.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Much better then last effort, Night n Day. Still a few mistakes. After cooking the Sausage, I hit with the stick blender to make real fine. Alas, I got lazy/side tracked and forgot to drain grease. So when put on dough and cooked, ended up causing crisp issues. For me it is still to much dough, and I am done with the 3 stripes for sauce, at some point you just say tradition be damned, I am doing the sauce the way it enhances the pie no some dumb xxx way they do it in X City!

I believe #3 will be even better next week! I think I am gonna order some Wisconsin Brick, as I wanna taste it naked and see how close to Jack and Munster it really is!

• One last attempt with a Muenster cheese to see how it comes out. A little Provolone & Mozzarella in it too! The sauce, I decided to put the onions and sausage right in it. Think thick Spaghetti sauce. Wil see how it comes out. Ohh, and the pan is coated with butter instead of EVOO this time!

4NKOkPth.jpg

FZPUXUIh.jpg

• The Best so far. I am sure the bottom looks burnt, but the taste was not hindered by the color! Butter is much better then EVOO. Not sure I can tell a lot of differences in the cheeses. Still have the crust just a tad to thick I think, but I believe my Detroit Style journey has come to an end. I believe if someone asked me to make one, and the odds of that happening are probably 1 in 1,000,000, I could do it and pull it off.

On to the Infamous, Deep Dish!

• I made the Serious Eats cast iron pan pizza on the weekend, made 1 in a 10 inch cast iron pan and the other in a tray with a slightly larger surface area, maybe 10 by 8 inches.

So easy and so good, a thicker crust but very light and the cheese and sauce caramelises around the edges, so good.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!