FATWOOD fire lighters - Bunnings

• Found these near the BBQs at the big red hammer today 14-15 bucks.

Any body tries these - says made from pine resin. but no smell or fumes???

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Jumbuck pizza oven, 5 Burner beefmaster

• A pumice stone soaked in a small jar of metho does a great job on the camp fire. It will light wet wood and is easily removed with a pair of long tongs. Much cheaper alternative and easier to store.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Yes I use them to light my fire pit. They work well and have a smell that for me is pleasant.

Usually 3 or 4 will do the job.

I wouldn't use them in a kamado, but they're good for any open fire.

Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Fire Pit | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Weber Genesis |

• I'll qualify my eariler comment about the pumice stone. That's ONLY for camp fires etc, not for any cooking appliance.

If we are talking fire lighters for charcoal then I use Samba Natural which are cheap and basically pressed cardboard.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Looking for a lower smoke option than the white cubes that smoke the neighbours out

Never use the white cubes, they are chemical filled.

• It depends on what type of fuel is in the chimney. Some beads I have here are buggers to get going, others take off quickly. Just add a few more of the Samba lighters if it's hard to start. Another option is to put a few easier lit beads at the bottom, like Kingsfords for example.

Since you are using a chimney, maybe the white ones aren't all that bad as long as all the nasties have been burnt off.

• The Samba Natural firelighters from the big green shed.

I pile them up into a little pyramid. Otherwise their weak flame doesn't even reach the coals.

I've wondered if one fatwood inserted vertically in the coal stack inside a chimney would work,but I've never tried it.

Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Fire Pit | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Weber Genesis |

• I think that's what I did wrong Narm, even using about 8 Samba lighters they don't seem to make much flame compared to 3 or 4 white lighters. I'll get some next time at Bunnings and stack them up!

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• I use the Samba lighters all the time when using my Primo and lighting charcoal, however I would not trust them for heat beads. I feel they do not really give off enough heat.

As for the white ones, they are great for campfires, and also lighting heatbeads.

I keep them both for seperate uses.

Paul

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbsup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!