Lamb shank cooking ideas?

• I've got some lamb shanks that I'd like to cook. In the past I've done them either in the oven at a low temperature or in the slow cooker. But wondering how everyone here does them?

Very open to ideas and interested in some experimenting. Not much else happening at the moment in Sydney :(

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas) Bunnings $85 Jumbuck Charcoal Rotti GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• Prob not as although I would *love* these, son no 1 is going through a no curry phase.

Still might go this way as the more I think of it the more my mouth waters.

2018 Weber Genesis (jets drilled for more power "Tim the Toolman" style)  Weber Gold Kettle Companion Pizza oven (gas) Bunnings $85 Jumbuck Charcoal Rotti GMG Daniel Boone Prime

• Guilliam Bruhani did lamb leg roasts over the fire in his Plat de Tour segment for the Tour De France.

Check the recepie out here, even if you are not interested in the cycling. Im sure someone here can adapt it for over the charcoal

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video…e-And-Anchovies

Cheers, or rather Bon Appetite.

Paul

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbup:

• So I just smoked some lamb shanks. Unfortunately, forgot to take photos of the final outcome as I always do which results in me not being able to post on here as usual: :w

Anyway, I just smoked for 2 hours at about 110C with a SPG rub. When I was happy with the colour and bark, I put in a tray and covered in foil. Didn't add any liquid, but put some onions, garilc and rosemary in the bottom with it. Cooked for another 2-3 hours at about 150C until tender. Used the liquid in the bottom of the dish to make a gravy and served with mash potato.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• dazzmaster, that's something else I was thinking about doing.

I generally move it into the slow cooker once it reaches the point where I'd cover it but would be the same result. Just saves me running out of pellets and TBH they cost a lot more than the electricity to run the slow cooker.

• Wazza do you have a goto recipe for Mussaman curry?

• davo67 you will need to put liquid in if you are doing it in the slow cooker. You could just do it in the oven then.

I have an Akorn, so I just keep it running for the remaining time.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• dazzmaster I don't think you do need to add liquid in the slow cooker. I do my pulled pork this way and you end up with a butt ton of juices. Which for the pulled pork I just mix back through when I pull it. Since I first did it this way I haven't changed - easily the best flavoured, juiciest results I've had.

And you're right, could put in the oven on a really low heat but I don't really like running the oven for 5 or 6 hours and I'm sure it would cost a lot more to run. The slow cooker on low is about 210F from the meater reading last time.

In essence the slow cooker is doing the same as you're doing by keeping it on the Akorn. I.e. covering it and cooking at a low temperature. There's no more smoke flavour.

• That recipe looks amazing. That's what I'll be doing. Think I have a dozen or so in the freezer so will do these first time.

• Thanks for this recipe Beachbums

I tried this and it turned out great.

I wanted to get people's thoughts on whether it would be beneficial to smoke and get some bark on the meat, whether it be lamb shanks or beef shorties and before dumping and baking.

• Why not give it a bit of smoke while it's braising? It's partially out of the liquid, so that bit of meat will get smoke, plus the liquid will also take some smoke in. Just taste and stop adding wood once you have the flavour you want.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Thanks for this recipe Beachbums

I tried this and it turned out great.

I wanted to get people's thoughts on whether it would be beneficial to smoke and get some bark on the meat, whether it be lamb shanks or beef shorties and before dumping and baking.

Forgetting the bbq for the moment, if I'm ever stewing meat (usually lamb neck, forequarter chops or osso bucco) I fry them to brown them off first. It's an absolute must for the flavour. Sometimes I dust them in flour first and then brown them off. Same goes for pot roasts, not that I've done one of those since... getting into bbq.

I tried my osso bucco by smoking them for a while first and then stewing them in the oven. It was different, and nice, but not so great that I've bothered doing it that way again.

I'm getting side tracked though; I'm trying to say it's always worth browning the meat first and doing it in the bbq is probably a good option. I'd trap the juices though rather than browning on the grill, and go with less smoke with this sort of cooking because it's already rich and packed with flavour.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!