• Was down in Pemby over the weekend so stopped in at Truffl& Wine Co and picked up a golf ball sized truffle. So Im trying to work out what to do with it.

im thinkin Saturday night ill do a nice thick cut steak with a mushroom and thyme sauce, with some truffle grated over the top.

Then Sunday a chicken and mushroom risotto with the remainder.

Am I on the right track or has anyone got any suggestions?.

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

• Apparently one of the greatest pleasures with a truffle is it grated over a simple fried egg.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Official Post

Then Sunday a chicken and mushroom risotto with the remainder.

That sounds like a good idea to me, but minus the chicken. Or the eggs as suggested by Bruckster.

Another option would be a simple sourdough slice well toasted, rubbed with a little garlic and topped with evo and truffle.

Not sure that truffle is a good combo with steak.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• I was thinking more to lift the mushroom sauce than the steak itself, but point noted.

The sourdough idea also sounds pretty good

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

• I've spent a few years and way too much money on truffles trying to get this right.

I'm assuming it's a black truffle. If it's white, ignore all the below. Black needs to be cooked, white uncooked.

Truffle aromas bind best with fat and with bland flavours. You can get a lot of depth and the greatest value when you use the same piece to flavour it several times. The best dish I've ever mad is a four cheese Mac & Cheese where the truffle was stored in an airtight container with the macaroni, then for a few days in the milk for the béchamel. Rinsed off and grate some into the béchamel and so through the mac n cheese as it baked.

Use the remainder inside a wheel of brie and the longer you leave it, the better the taste.

Your mushroom sauce will work but truffle gets lost in complex or strong flavours. At the price one pays for truffle, it deserves to be the star.

Serve with a mature merlot, which generally has a strong truffle aroma. WA makes the best merlot in Australia, and if you can get an older Blue Poles from Margaret River, you are laughing

• While you are storing it in the fridge keep it in the carton with the eggs.

Did you happen to pick up a marron while you were down there?

Marron with Truffles in burnt butter sauce

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• HectorAsado thats a great write up, thanks.

I like the 'bland and fatty' logic. I was told anything that was warm and moist ( think pasta, risotto, pizza etc).

I put it in a sealed container with a couple of eggs and then ate the eggs yesterday, its such a strong aroma that it permeates to the yolk.

Love that idea of the wheel of brie.

Wazza i nearly bought some marron while down there, i figured they would pair nicely. Hows the tingletoe cider? We drove past tingletoe but didnt stop

• Wazza i nearly bought some marron while down there, i figured they would pair nicely. Hows the tingletoe cider? We drove past tingletoe but didnt stop

That pic is from 7 years ago, I remember enjoying it but can't really remember that much about it now. I'll finish this post with another pic from only a couple of years ago where I did the same dish, but in summer so no truffles available so have to use truffle oil. Was still sensational and to my surprise the kids loved is.

I kinda sing from the same book as HectorAsado with truffles, keep the dish simple. The exception being a chicken recipe from Heston I have cooked, but it's full of cream etc which is what carries the truffle.

Anyway, I'll give you the recipe for the marron in the hope it helps you with ideas, this would also work with a cray.

I par boiled it, then took it out the shell. Butter in a pan until nutty brown. In with the marron and was extremely careful to remove it just before it was cooked so it would just finish cooking while resting. I used a musket from a Manjimup winery called Woodgate both times*, but any good quality fortified wine which is perhaps just slightly on the sweeter side would work. Add a splash to the pan with the butter and reduce. Take off the heat and put in the grated truffle while it is still hot. Pour the sauce over the marron / cray. It kinda has the elements Hector was talking about, simple flavours that stand up for themselves and the fat from the butter to carry. It's a 4 ingredient dish that can blow your mind.

* If you get to Woodgate in Manjumup you will see this recipe idea in their blurb on what possible uses are for their musket, I told them about it, they added it to their description and I noticed it last time we went there. Mention this story, I'm sure they'll love it, great people at that winery.

If you want the Heston recipe, let me know.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!